Thread: Do you think the Christian God has a wrath?

Do you think the Christian God has a wrath?

So many Christians say that God is love, and yet, it sounds like he had an awful big wrath, particularly before Jesus showed up. So do you think earthquakes and all the world tragedies come from God's wrath (if you are a believer?) and why? Just curious.

As a believer I would say yes and no. Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a result of the Fall. They are not God's wrath so much as they are the Earth groaning awaiting the adoption or ultimate redemption of the sons of God spoken of by the Apostle Paul in his Epistle to the Romans in chapter 8:

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

However, God ultimately does have wrath, and it will explode and be revealed in this world during the Tribulation period as outlined in the book of Revelation in the Seal, the Trumpet, and the Bowl Judgments.

From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.
    Revelation 19:15

15 Then the kings of the earth, the nobles, the commanders, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and free man, hid in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16 And they said to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb. 17 For the great day of Their wrath has come, and who is able to withstand it?”…
    Revelation 6:16
    Last edited by Michael Kajuan; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks for replying!

God's love is a wonderful thing. Imagine being the almighty creator of heaven and earth - of everything. Then imagine being perfect, and Holy. Above all other things, God is Holy, Holy, Holy.

Now imagine looking at your creation, at all the evil and wicked thoughts and actions of the people that are sustained by your unlimited power, grace, mercy, and longsuffering patience.

It is an incredible thing that God has not brought his wrath upon this world yet:

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God does bring evil upon sinners:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

People bring evil upon themselves by sinning against God, for God has written His Law upon the hearts of all people, and when people sin, they knowingly go against their conscience, which bears witness to the Law of God.

Now if evil is the opposite of holy, or good, or light; and hell is the opposite of heaven, then people willingly choose to bring evil upon themselves by choosing to sin, which leads them to hell for not accepting the righteous blood atonement of our Lord Jesus Christ. They refuse to accept and glorify their own creator:

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

As Michael stated, the world is groaning and in pain, but God has brought his wrath upon people in the past by use of the natural elements which follow the ordinances established and sustained by God. Whether God is currently and actively influencing storms and earthquakes to punish sin I cannot say.

Many people, and sadly, many Christians, do not actually realize that Jesus Christ is God in the Old Testament, for God is a Godhead - consisting of God the Father, the Son of God - our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

In the Old Testament, the prophets were inspired by the Holy Ghost, and what they wrote down were the words of the Word - Jesus Christ. The Holy Ghost is the author of the scriptures, but the Holy Ghost speaks that which he hears from Jesus Christ:

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
    John 16:4 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    John 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Not sure that helped, but there it is.

Wrath for what? it's all going to plan. Why do people do evil? because bad stuff happened to them and made them angry. Good souls do not choose to do evil. Disturbed souls do. The universe began with God. He set the ball rolling. He takes all the blame.

Blog Entries
    Nice. Vota especially.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro View Post
    So many Christians say that God is love, and yet, it sounds like he had an awful big wrath, particularly before Jesus showed up. So do you think earthquakes and all the world tragedies come from God's wrath (if you are a believer?) and why? Just curious.
    God ABSOLUTELY has a wrath and primarily will distribute it on those who Lie against the sacred and holy Women who are alive and who GIVE LIFE to the world, and humanity, who GIVE LIFE to all people -- every one on earth was born from their MOTHER who is in her full resplendance, Divine.

So I posted this YEARS ago, had no clue it would still be getting replies in 2022. And I kind of JUST came back. LOL By the way, I am now a believer and have had many changes of heart when it comes to God (or the Christian one that is.)

Blog Entries
    Welcome back !

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

According to the Bible, this all knowing "god" creates ALL evil as Isaiah 45:7 - thus, he knew the Fall would take place in the Garden of Eden and watched it with great joy. Same with every war, death, disease, malady. Sadistic SOB for sure.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    Sado-masochist, if you must be cynical, since Christians believe that he became part of his own creation and suffers with it. Whatever it means and whyever it is, as Fudgetusk said "He takes all the blame."
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back, Whifflingpin!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row