Ever Ready

We were driving to the mall one sunny afternoon. Ever was shining as usual. That’s what I loved about her, how she shined. She looked out the rolled-down window and a rush of air made a mess of her red sparkly hair. She didn’t care, which was another thing I loved about her. She cared about absolutely nothing but me.

“Isn’t the day just marvelous?”

She’d scanned every inch of topography in mere seconds.

“Yes, Darling, it is.”

The sky was cobalt blue and dotted with white snowy cumulus, my favorite clouds.

“Aren’t you glad that you have me?”

“Extremely glad, Darling.”

I was. With Ever the day always started off splendidly. She had so much energy. She woke before me and fixed coffee and an omelet and served me in bed. She was so cute, wearing just the top of my pajamas, her legs, and what legs they were, were showing just right. So right, I asked her to hop back in bed so we could made love like two bunnies. More like the Eveready rabbit on TV that always has extra energy and beats his drum like crazy, that was us. Thump thump thump. Boom boom boom. We never ran out of sexual fuel. Now it was a trip to the mall for some shopping. The bullet train whooshed by in the distance and left only a blur.

“I wish we were on that train,” she said wistfully.

“Me too, we’d be there in less than an hour.”

“Back a century or so, it used to take hours and hours didn’t it?”

“Yes Baby, hours and hours, until the Mag-Lev was constructed.”

She rolled up the window and propped her head against it.

"‘I’m going to take a nap,” she said yawning. “Will you fix me?”

“Of course, Darling,”

I reached over and touched her button of a nose. It was one of her most charming features, and sung her a lullaby.

“Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep my sweet Ever.”

Within seconds she was asleep. I didn’t have to steer, what with the radar steering and braking system, so I opened up a book and began reading. But after a few minutes I grew nostalgic and contemplative. I regarded Ever as she slept. My god she was gorgeous, such a fabulous inventive creature. Just looking at her aroused a need in you that only she could fulfill.

She hardly matched any of the women that came before. She outclassed them all. There was absolutely no comparison. For one thing she was downright pretty. Wonderful expressive eyes, any color you wanted, she was skilled at that. A wide down-turned mouth, that when it broke into a smile, made you feel you’d really accomplished something. Skin like a porcelain doll, just perfect, and a shape to match. An artist with her makeup, she never seemed to age all the time we’d been together, over ten years now. Her taste in clothing was exquisite, and she knew what fashions flattered her figure. What a find she was. I’d finally hit the jackpot.

Ever was more regular, consistent, and attentive than any woman I’d ever known. She was always on point to my needs. In every instance so aware of my wants, it was almost as if she had radar. It was just how she was raised, or I might say, how she was built. She possessed so many great features, and one of them was me. I don’t mind being possessed if the possessor is just right.

The string of women before her were wet rags in comparison. Never consistent, always out of sorts, thinking one thing one minute and another, another. Showing their age in horrendous ways. What with their inconsistencies, you never trusted them. They never trusted themselves when it came down to it. What a sad lot they seemed and what a sad sot I was when I was with one of them. Then, like magic, I discovered the perfect woman while shopping. Same mall as a matter of fact, and here it was now on the horizon. It was time to slow down and let her out to do what women do best. Shop.

We shopped at the Gap, and then Neiman Marcus. She always enjoyed trying things on. Suddenly she stopped cold in her tracks and fell to the ground. Then I remembered what we were there for in the first place. A security guard came over to help. He’d seen this kind of thing before.

“A model MX1000 is she?”

“As a matter of fact she is.”

He walked behind a partition and rolled back with a shopping basket. It was chromium contraption with four sturdy wheels. He helped me sling her over it, her feet nearly dragging on one side and her hair nearly touching the ground on the other.

“There’s a Radio Shack just around the corner.”

“Yes,” I said. “I know where it is, thanks awfully.”

“Don’t mention it, it happens all the time.”

I carted her around the corner post haste, right through the doors and into the shop.

The salesman looked up.

“MX 1000 is she?”

“Yes, that’s her, a nearly new MX1000.”

As he went to the back, I pushed up her blouse with care. She had a perfectly sculpted back. The technicians had been artists. You could barely notice the depression near her spine, the size of the edge of a coin, it was so cleverly concealed. I took a penny from my pocket and unscrewed it. The salesman returned with two kinds of batteries.

“Well, here we have the cheap ones from China. To tell you the truth Buddy, you can find these at the ninety-nine cent store, and they don’t last but a second. But I also stock the Eveready Long Lasting Specials, and they last so long they’re cheap at twice the price.”

“Nothing’s too good for my Ever,” I answered, “I’ll take two packs of the best.”

I inserted one set and put the others in my pocket, then touched Ever on her button nose to reboot her. Her lovely long eyelashes fluttered and her gorgeous eyes lit up as she came alive in my arms.

As Asimov said, I sing the body electric.

Regaining consciousness, she put out her arms and gave me a kiss.

“My Hero,” she whispered.

“There’s nothing too good for my Ever,” I stated to the salesman while wiping off her pink lipstick with my handkerchief. “For her, it’s original equipment every time.”

She regained her composure and her aplomb within seconds and it looked like her memory chip informed her she was due to resume shopping.

“Have you recovered, Baby? Would you like to continue shopping?”

She brushed her synthetic hair back out of her eyes with her sweet delicate fingers; the fingers modern technology had sculpted to perform miracles for man.

“Of course, Darling, I’m Ever Ready, remember?”

We walked out the door hand in hand. Yet something was praying on my mind and I just had to ask.

“Honey, do you ever regret me naming you Ever?”

“Why no, I took it as a symbol of our everlasting love. Had you another name in mind?”

“Well, Precious, there was one point where I considered using Copper Top.”

“Some choices, Sweetheart, especially ones not chosen, are probably best left unsaid.”

©StevenHunley2011

https://youtu.be/Q9LSMYznjHM I Robot Allan Parsons