Thread: The War of the Alphabet

The War of the Alphabet

In the English town, there lives the citizens of the English Alphabet. They are tens of thousands of English alphabets, from the parents of A to Z, to the children of a to z, dwelling peacefully in the town.

The English Alphabet are all very nice citizens. They pay respect to each other, obey the law, and love peace.

Happy times they all have as they only need to play and eat and drink. Yet one day, an unhappy event befalls some of them.

Some Alphabet citizens, especially the vowel group: A, E, I, O and U, who are exceptionally bright, rich and brilliant, decide they should form an elite group. The elite group have the ideology that they should only recruit the vowel, and exclude the other alphabets known as the consonant (non A, E, I, O or U folks).

Many aggressive and ambitious citizens of A, E, I, O and U, bringing their children of a, e, i, o and u, are recruited to the elite group.

The elite group gain more power. They become the authority that no consonants should disobey their order or belittle their importance. A, E, I, O, U become more arrogant and abusive.

One of the vowel members, I, is the most authoritative person. I becomes the leader of the elite group very soon. I is the most arrogant and abusive vowel member, as this vowel member hopes to categorise other consonant members according to their usefulness. I decides to exclude the groups of X, Y and Z since I believes X, Y and Z do not always contribute to make many words.

Many words are hence shattered. Few Xenon are left, as the citizens of X are expelled from the English town. The English Alphabet lose their “expectations”, since no more citizens of X join to form these words of significance.

Besides, the English Alphabet loses the concept of “you”, because Y becomes unwelcome and abominable, as I is arrogant and I does not need “you”.

The zoo is all demolished too, as Z becomes more and more useless. The citizens of Z, bringing the children, z, live in the gutter. They are the poorest and bitterest since Z is always ridiculed by I, who thinks Z is the most useless alphabet in the English town as they never love to form words.

X, Y, Z are left behind. They are very sad. They will never experience happiness anymore. Why do they not experience happiness? It is not only because they are excluded, but also because the word “happiness” does not exist anymore. As I is arrogant, I does not like to be friends with the H, P, N and S. When they do not meet together, there is no happiness.

The English town becomes gloomy, grim and glum. Yet, the vowel group do not know it, since when the consonant is excluded, they have no concept of words. They do not understand many things, when some words no longer exist any more, when people do not read properly, and when I is so arrogant.

The English town becomes more grisly. I, the leader of the elite group, decides to exclude the consonant group further. They kidnap many letters of K, L and D. Together, they form some bad and unnecessary words, like, “kill” and “die”. These words are used to lecture the consonant group that they should learn to hate each other. The consonant group grow to hate each other and exclude each other.

The elite group become happy on seeing the consonant group exclude each other. To exacerbate the case, the elite group kidnap many more letters, like G, N, W and R. They form words like “gun” and “war”, as a means to teach the consonant group that gun is the weapon they should use to fight, and war is the only game left in the consonant group.

War is spread across the English town. The consonant are fighting each other with guns. They only have the concept of “war”, “kill” and “die”, as these are the only words they are taught with.

The thing sadder than not having the ability to experience happiness, is that one does not experience sadness. As A and E exclude the families of S, the English town has no concept of sadness. It is a real pity the English Alphabet does not understand what sadness means. They are not considerate any more because they lose empathy. It is all because the leader of the vowel group, I, who is arrogant and abusive.

Yet, not all A, E, O and U are bad people. Some A, E, O and U disapprove of what I is doing. They decide to save the English town and save the consonant group. Secretly, some good A, E, O and U recruit some good consonant members, to form the HOPE group. Many letters, now, are able to meet each other in this secret group. Y is no longer excluded. Other citizens, such as S, D and N, are saved by this secret group. People remember the concept of “you” and they never forget to experience “sadness”. This feeling of sadness helps them to know the importance of happiness.

More and more consonant are recognised by the HOPE group, citizens like, P, C, F, R, M, L and V are salvaged. They meet the good vowel letters, A, E, O and U. Together, they form “peace” and “freedom”. Most importantly, they form “love”. Spreading the message of love, many consonant are recognised and loved. The HOPE group become more and more powerful, and the elite group become less and less authoritative.

Yet I is arrogant and abusive. I does not want to lose. I decides to abduct the families of H and T, so that “hate” can be formed. I believes that when people learn to hate, people forget to love. Hate is the most powerful weapon the elite group have.

Yet, the elite group are losing its importance. Hate cannot defeat love. The source of power in the world is always love. More group members, A, E, O and U are leaving the elite group. When the HOPE group send the messages of “love” and “sadness”, those vowel members know “hate” is painful and unnecessary.

The elite group are losing.

Ultimately, the elite group only have the members of I. The HOPE group are the most powerful group in the English Town. They are all happiness, consideration and optimism.

I is very sad now. I is sobbing as I feels excluded. How wrong has I have acted!

Yet, the HOPE group are composed of kind people. The diplomats of F, R, E, N and D are sent to the elite group, in order to meet the authoritative leader, I. They hope to discuss the end of the war; they hope that the English town can be once more peaceful.

But, diplomat R is always late in the meeting, which results in the group standing as the word “fiend”. They look at each other with embarrassment.

This is the very moment I realise how important other members are: as without each other, words are never complete and feelings can never be experienced wholeheartedly among people. With empathy, there is always epiphany.

Diplomat R finally arrives and joins the meeting. R stands between F and I, shaking hands with I. The meeting goes very smoothly. History honours them as the “FRIEND” group. Because of this friendship, the English town has ended its only war.

I am no longer arrogant. I accept X, Y and Z. I especially love Y, as I love you.

The English town grows to be more peaceful after that.

In the English town, there lives the citizens of the English Alphabet. They are tens of thousands of English alphabets, from the parents of A to Z, to the children of a to z. Each of which is always important and useful. They are very all, indeed, extremely nice citizens. They all pay respect to each other, obey the law, and most importantly, love peace.
    "We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    I absolutely LOVED your story.
    Very well done indeed, bravo, my friend.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws View Post
    I absolutely LOVED your story.
    Very well done indeed, bravo, my friend.
    haha I have more to offer.

Blog Entries
    Nice lesson beginning where it ends but better off.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Nice lesson beginning where it ends but better off.
    What exactly do you mean by better off?
    Last edited by lawrencelpy; 09-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    A very clever parable! Congrats!

You canīt write "citizen" without "z". So when "z" is banned, citizenship is also banished.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 09-15-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Excellent personification of a very original idea, lawrencelpy! One of my favorite lines was "I am no longer arrogant. I accept X, Y and Z. I especially love Y, as I love you." Your first paragraph mirrored your last paragraph...a nice tidy set of bookends to hold your "English town of citizens" together.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson