Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nobel Prize 2017

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7

    Nobel Prize 2017

    Nobel Prize 2017: The Case Against The US

    I've seen a lot of arguments in recent years saying the Swedish Academy has developed a bias against U.S. literature (usually there is no specified reason). It is also a fact that the U.S. has won more post-war Nobels than just about any other nation (maybe France comes close). Do you feel the quality of literature in the U.S. justifies a Nobel Prize for the second year in a row?

  2. #2
    TheFairyDogMother kiz_paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Prairies, Canada
    Posts
    9,653
    Blog Entries
    188
    Hmmm.... good question. I wonder just what line up of literature has been produced in the USA that would warrant such a prestigious award for the second year in a row.
    France and Great Britain pump out awesome works... and I am personally biased by the works of so many Canadian writers.

    Wonder what others think? ...
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    6,333
    Blog Entries
    4
    I steer clear of the nationalistic discussion, but Murakami would be a great pick. (They have 2 Nobel lit prize winners).

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    I steer clear of the nationalistic discussion, but Murakami would be a great pick. (They have 2 Nobel lit prize winners).
    I think he is probably a strong contender. I would like to see Bulgakov honored posthumously, or perhaps Julio Cortazair. Pynchon probably deserves one at some point, even if he's not my favorite contender.

    I've heard names like DeLillo and McCarthy, but I just don't think they have a body of work that can stand up with past laureates, nor do they really influence the large culture the way past laureates have. Then again, is it their fault that television continues to dumb people down?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7
    I'd like to know more about Canadian authors.

    There is a Vermont writer I learned about when I lived there, who wrote essentially the northerner's To Kill A Mockingbird--Howard Mosher - Stranger In The Kingdom. That's as close to Canada as I think I've read, but there are a lot of French Canadians in his stories.

  6. #6
    Inexplicably Undiscovered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Posts
    5,089
    Blog Entries
    72
    I have absolutely nothing against a highly-influential songwriter from Minnesota. After last year, however, when Bob Dylan instead of Philip Roth was awarded the honor, I lost interest in the Nobel Prize.

  7. #7
    TheFairyDogMother kiz_paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Prairies, Canada
    Posts
    9,653
    Blog Entries
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against a highly-influential songwriter from Minnesota. After last year, however, when Bob Dylan instead of Philip Roth was awarded the honor, I lost interest in the Nobel Prize.
    Indeed, I cannot agree with you more.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDweller View Post
    I've heard names like DeLillo and McCarthy, but I just don't think they have a body of work that can stand up with past laureates, nor do they really influence the large culture the way past laureates have. Then again, is it their fault that television continues to dumb people down?
    I think there's a fair case for McCarthy. He's had a long (two distinct periods) career, he owns the modern Western, has had 3 books turned into movies, one of which ranks near the tops on "Best of the Decade" lists, had a ridiculously bleak book about the post-apocalypse get shouted out on Oprah and won a Pulitzer. I've definitely encountered a writer or two blatantly aping his style.

    And then there's the fact that his work tends to be amazing; Blood Meridian has achieved accepted Masterpiece Status, the Border Trilogy is towering, with ...Pretty Horses holding particularly high profile (not my favorite of the 3 but I get why it is), and the Road is pretty towering. Going back to the older stuff, I feel like Suttree is pretty well regarded.

    I feel like the cultural impact critique fits Delillo better.
    Last edited by Whiskeyclone; 09-27-2017 at 12:20 AM.

  9. #9
    TheFairyDogMother kiz_paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Prairies, Canada
    Posts
    9,653
    Blog Entries
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDweller View Post
    I'd like to know more about Canadian authors.

    There is a Vermont writer I learned about when I lived there, who wrote essentially the northerner's To Kill A Mockingbird--Howard Mosher - Stranger In The Kingdom. That's as close to Canada as I think I've read, but there are a lot of French Canadians in his stories.
    We have Mordecai Richler ... The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz; Margaret Atwood ... who penned a number of novels and short story collections; Stephen Leacock ... again, a number of novels and essays; W. D. Valgardson ... wrote novels, short story collections...
    Well, that is just a few of Canucks who know their way around books.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Prize in Literature
    By JohnAvg in forum General Literature
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 03:23 PM
  2. The unimportance of the Nobel Prize of Literature
    By liberal viewer in forum General Literature
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
  3. Nobel Prize predictions
    By Deep Space Bass in forum General Literature
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
  4. Nobel Prize
    By Rosalind in forum General Literature
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 06:18 AM
  5. Nobel What Prize?
    By starrwriter in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 05:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •