Thread: Dracula, Frankenstein or Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde????

Dracula, Frankenstein or Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde????

I once saw an edition which included the three novels bound in one volume with an introduction by Stephen King.

Which one is the most artistically accomplished of the three horror novels???

For my own part, I think Jekyll & Hyde is the best of the three in terms of stylistic and artistic power. Dracula it is a pretty adventurous tale in spite of Van Helsing being so irritating throughout. And his use of blood transfusion is so primitive and uninformed that he would probably kill his patient rather than treating her. Frankenstein was written by a teenager Mary Shelley and edited by her poet-husband. She was so young (although very gifted). What do you think???

https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-...e+stephen+king
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Red ,mostly because of its psychological significance. I didnīt read Dracula, though.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

There is a small, but considerable distance between the narrative talents of Robert Louis Stevenson and Stoker and Mary. However, Mary themes are even with Stevenson. Dracula is mostly about the character.

Artistically speaking, both Dracula and Frankenstein are no match for the impeccable system that runs within Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Stevenson proved himself to be a writer of the highest order with this masterpiece.
    Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.

I'm for Frankenstein. The writing style is lovely and the themes of humanity and fate are super interesting to me. Not to mention the effect the novel has had on popular culture. I respect and like the other two, but Frankenstein has to be it for me.
    "Exit, Pursued by a bear"
    -William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale

Frankly i never found anything of interest in Dr. Jekyll. Frankenstein is probably the most mature and has the most to say but i enjoy Dracula the most, its wonderful sort of found footage vibe and its so detailed, you discover something new every time you reread it.

Blog Entries
    Haven't read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but I hated Dracula and Frankenstein. I'm not really a fan of monster fiction, but of all the ones I've read, I think I liked "I Am Legend", "Interview With A Vampire", and "World War Z" the best. Plus, a smattering of Lovecraft stories.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Frankenstein for me. Birthed sci-fi and horror as genres, and did it with more class, brutality, and gloriously blasphemous thematic game than almost everything since.

Quote Originally Posted by wreade1872 View Post
    Frankly i never found anything of interest in Dr. Jekyll. Frankenstein is probably the most mature and has the most to say but i enjoy Dracula the most, its wonderful sort of found footage vibe and its so detailed, you discover something new every time you reread it.
    This describes my feelings to a T. Shelley is the most ambitious of the writers, but Stoker's more entertaining.

im a sucker for romance and chivalry and damsels in distress, so other considerations aside, im for Dracula.