Thread: Frankenstein as manifestation

Question Frankenstein as manifestation

As the story progresses, it seems that Victor and Frankenstein are similar. Do you think that the monster was a manifestation of Victor’s state of mind?

I can see that, yes, but I like to see it as a way of exposing Victor's monstrous tendencies and therefore blurring the lines between "man" and "monster". Victor is seen outwardly as a man, but is monstrous in his tendencies and selfish desires to create life. He also leaves civilization for nature, which is an inherently wild thing. The Monster, however, is seen outwardly as just that, a "wretch", but his heart is full of love and a desire to belong in civilization before he is tainted by hate. And then his intentions are purely vengeful, which, in my opinion, is the most human thing of all.

(sorry for the tangent, i love this book so much )
    "Exit, Pursued by a bear"
    -William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale

I had a very interesting discussion a while ago about the differences and similarities between Victor and Creature, I remain convinced Creature was the better man.

Victor creates him, then despises and fears and in the end it kills him. There might be a warning in there about warring with your offspring. But I hate the way he discards his creation when he finds him lacking.
    “Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist.
    Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”

G.K. Chesterton

I don't think Frankenstein really had much of a persona in the book. Is that bad writing or a statement? The monster reflects the fears of the power of science.

It is funny that the monster is made up of parts of other people, like a massive transplant surgery. The risks of that is REJECTION of the organs etc. And the monster experiences REJECTION from other people.