Thread: hello, everyone!

Question hello, everyone!

i am very thankful to be part of this group and the reason why i am wanted to join is because it seems to be a good group for people with visions and missions in life. i am a very young philosophy student and i find it so difficult to understand Immanuel Kant's theory on moral reasoning and a principle of respect for person, so i really need help from you to understand this:

what does it mean to treat a person as a thing rather than as an end itself and last can you please give me three examples whereby persons are treated as things

Blog Entries
    Gosh, I cannot help you with your Kant's theory on moral reasoning, but want to welcome you here!
    People treated as THINGS? Hmmmm ... well, slave labor would be a prime example. And perhaps the Advertising industry sees 'people' (potential buyers) as 'things' to be exploited by {subliminal} advertising... other??? hmmm, ya got me...

Blog Entries
    A thing would be something you use, like a computer. A person would be a source of choices, not a computer. I don't know what Kant thought about it. If morals are interesting, I'd recommend Jonathan Haidt (because I read him recently). He mentions Hume and intuitionism and Kant and rationalism. It would be another way to look at morals.