Thread: speaker of each paragraph

speaker of each paragraph

Hi, dear friends
    The following dialogue is from Lady Chatterley's lover (page 54, near the ending of Chapter Four) by DH Lawrence (planetebook).
    I don't know who is the speaker of each paragraph. Could you please give me some help?
    Thank you in advance

‘My dear man, it allows the material premiss; so does the pure mind .*.*. exclusively.’ (by Tommy Dukes, I think)
    ‘At least Bolshevism has got down to rock bottom,’ said Charlie.

‘Rock bottom! The bottom that has no bottom! The Bolshevists will have the finest army in the world in a very short time, with the finest mechanical equipment.(by whom? By the way, in another version, there IS another quotation mark here)

‘But this thing can’t go on .*.*. this hate business. There must be a reaction .*.*. ’ said Hammond. 
    ‘Well, we’ve been waiting for ten years .*.*. we can wait longer. Hate’s a growing thing like anything else. It’s the inevitable outcome of forcing ideas on to life, of forcing one’s deepest instincts; our deepest feelings we force according to certain ideas. We drive ourselves with a formula, like a machine. The logical mind pretends to rule the roost and the roost turns into pure hate. We’re all Bolshevists, only we are hypocrites. The Russians are Bolshevists without hypocrisy.’ (by Charlie or Tommy Dukes?)

‘But there are many other ways,’ said Hammond, ‘than the Soviet way. The Bolshevists aren’t really intelligent.’ (by Hammond?)

‘Of course not. But sometimes it’s intelligent to be half-witted: if you want to make your end. Personally, I consider Bolshevism half-witted; but so do I consider our social life in the west half-witted. So I even consider our far-famed mental life half-witted. We’re all as cold as cretins, we’re all as passionless as idiots. We’re all of us Bolshevists, only we give it another name. We think we’re gods .*.*. gods like men! It’s just the same as Bolshevism. One has to be human, and have a heart and a penis if one is going to escape being either a god or a Bolshevist .*.*. for they are the same thing: they’re both too good to be true.’([COLOR="#FF0000"]by Charlie orTommy Dukes?[/COLO
    R])
    Last edited by shenghuiqiong; 07-26-2017 at 11:06 PM.