Thread: A favorite book, poem, TV or movie character.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A favorite book, poem, TV or movie character.

The first character that comes to my mind is Sam Weller (Pickwick Papers). One laughs at his way of speaking, his ideas and his practical point of views.
    Now do you have one or several favorite characters? What do you like about it or them?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, got to be. He's devoid of any equilibrium. His descent into madness and the ultimate collapse is inevitable. We could say he has a perfect equilibrium of disaster.
    Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.

Blog Entries
    "Equilibrium of disaster" is a very good definition of a character by Dostoievski. Maybe it also applies to Prince Mishkin. It reminds me of the goethian definition of Mephistopheles which Dostoievski turns inside out.
    In Faust , Mephistopheles presents himself to the protagonist as "a part of that force that always intends evil and always produces good."
    Dostoievski creates several characters who are well intentioned at the outset but who act disastrously themselves, or through their actions make other characters act disastrously.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Artemis Fowl from the young adult series has to be my personal favorite. I like him because he's intelligent, but in a sly and cunning way. Holds himself to a high standard, and handles it well. It's taught me a good bit about how to approach my own life.

Blog Entries
    Interesting choice. I don´t know the series. Does it have the same name as this character?

Blog Entries
    Book: Battlefield Earth... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(novel)

Was made into a terrible movie but is a good Sci-Fi dystopian yarn. Don't let the author's name turn you away from the book.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Looks interesting, Tailor. Why should the author's name repel anybody?

Blog Entries
    I've many, but Wyatt Gwyon from William Gaddis's The Recognitions stands out from the rest. For me, he is the quintessence of the Promethean individual struggling to steal the gods' fire and transcend mediocrity. I never tire of this character!
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    My favorite character, je suppose, of all times, would have to be Kevin Costner's portrayer of Lt. John Dunbar in the movie "Dances With Wolves". Incredible acting. Awesome story. Entertaining from beginning to end. Five Stars from this humble person.

Blog Entries
    Didn´t see the film yet. I saw just now that I confused the title with "Women running with the wolves".
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 08-27-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvia View Post
    I've many, but Wyatt Gwyon from William Gaddis's The Recognitions stands out from the rest. For me, he is the quintessence of the Promethean individual struggling to steal the gods' fire and transcend mediocrity. I never tire of this character!
    Sounds interesting. Makes me want to read the book.

I don't know about Orson Welles as a Shakespearian actor, but he was born to play Falstaff. (Chimes At Midnight)