Thread: You can't take it with you.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

You can't take it with you.

You can’t take it with you,” is an oft quoted bon mot, normally delivered with ponderous wisdom by those who invariably don’t have “the filthy lucre.”

I take issue with both expressions.

Let’s start with the latter. If “filthy lucre” normally implies money obtained by dishonest means; then, despite being employed by such disparate authorities ranging from: The Bible (Titus 1:11), to Plutarch’s “Lives” and even Rider Haggard; I would consider it today a more throwaway expression.

It has a close relative in “filthy rich;” embracing a hint of jealously bordering on a complement.

Which takes us back to “taking it with you.” Being an Englishman, we have a system of taxes in my country that hits your kids hard with regards to a reasonable inheritance, (40% Inheritance Tax, 7 year rules on gifts, and now Teresa May trying her hand at the dementia tax for long term elderly care.)

Of course you can spend it all before you slake off your mortal coil, but then who knows when that is?

Frederick Forsyth had the originality of imagination in one of his stories, of a very rich man, (unmarried, no kids), who was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

He chose to be buried in the deepest part of the North Sea, and his grasping relatives were obliged to attend on board ship before the will was read in Portsmouth.

It was rough seas, many were sick, and when the will was read he bequeathed items like his stamp collection to his brother, his garden tools to his nephews etc.

Of money there was nothing.

His relatives employed a private investigator to see where the original wealth went and it came up with the finding that he had brought a considerable amount of gold and visited a foundry.

When that coffin slid into the ocean’s depths, was it made of solid gold? Did he in fact take it with him?

An interesting take.
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 07-03-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    There is jealousy associated with the term filthy rich. I include the jealous with the filthy rich.

We have wealth so we can be altruistic and give it away. This is a form of service to our families and our communities. Since we are fundamentally altruistic, not selfish, this is our source of meaning. Having the means to perform that service is a legitimate use of whatever wealth or abilities one has. Not enough wealth means that one cannot serve or express one's altruism. Too much wealth and the means to perform service are restricted to fewer people. Those who can't serve are taken care of. In an extreme case, such as dementia, they may be institutionalized.

Just some ideas about wealth, altruism and the illusion of selfishness.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I call that an altruistic standpoint, except in relation to dementia, where issues can become very complicated. Some countries/places have only terrible instituitions or no instituitions at al for these cases. Which doesn´t hinder them to create a "dementia tax" or something similar if they want to.
    There is a beautifully ironic Fellinni filme about a sea burial. Rereading the plot, I found it quite up to date:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Ship_Sails_On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsAhmNYkD6M
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 07-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row