Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: GM food

Lightbulb GM food

genetically modified food.
    is it safe?
    and are we aware it is now in the food chain and probably most of us are not aware of it.

please discuss.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A good discussion topic. I can say I am aware of the theme and its controversies.
    What I donīt know is if any of the food I actually consume is genetically modified.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Unmodified banana

Genetically modified banana

It's safe to eat. There's an issue with it being designed to withstand greater and greater doses of Round Up pesticide.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

I wrote a fourteen page project on them for my English 2 comp class. I found that the benefits outweigh the cons in most ways. And mostly all fruits and veggies are modified in some way (look at the banana photo above) I remember a group of protesters stopped food coming into Africa because they had GMOS in them, with no alternative for the starving people. But at the end of the day, I can see why people don't like them, and why people demand having their foods labeled. And it's becoming a giant monopoly, with corporations dictating the release of these GMOS, without knowing the full affects of them.

Blog Entries
    Yes in general I think GMOs are safe to eat, they also provide many benefits in terms of greater nutritional range (golden rice) and larger crop yield. At the same time there are ethical issues at play with the control of seed patents by major conglomerates and the squeeze it puts on farmers who don't use the GMO crops.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

GM Foods

See this Wikipedia article on GM foods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food. Salmon is genetically modified so it grows all year round. GM foods are also known as Frankenstein Foods.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Almost all food that humans grow and eat has been genetically modified. Nearly all food crops are safe to eat; although there are some that have significant amounts of toxins in them. Some of the modifications are of questionable value, but the most dangerous crops became that way before humans messed around with them.

If you want to horrified by components in foods, then look at the levels of natural toxins in beans.