Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is love????

Love is the reason we get up in the morning and go to bed at night. Love is selfish and selfless, a motivator and a deterrent, a reason to life and die. In the end it all comes down to love.
    “Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist.
    Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”

G.K. Chesterton

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
    It is from logic that I stretched like a piece of chewing gum.
    Well, my advice is that you scrape it off your shoe and turn your heart to the Good. Whether you do, of course, is your own choice (which suggests to me that God is not heroin, but good luck with that).
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 11-03-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Well, my advice is that you scrape it off your shoe and turn your heart to the Good. Whether you do, of course, is your own choice (which suggests to me that God is not heroin, but good luck with that).
    I thought I was turning my heart to good. Truth is good...isn't it? suppose it wasn't? What if God lives a lie to keep us happy? Maybe we are not wise enough yet to know the truth about love or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Love is the reason we get up in the morning and go to bed at night. Love is selfish and selfless, a motivator and a deterrent, a reason to life and die. In the end it all comes down to love.
    all comes down to love? What about horrid things like what Corey Feldman went through? Surely that wasn't love.

Closed
    If we are not yet wise enough to know truth then you could not possibly know that you have turned your heart to the Good by virtue of the fact that truth is good. And since false premises produce false conclusions, your chewing gum logic may be useless, too. How could you possibly know?

If we are not yet wise enough to know truth then you could not possibly know that you have turned your heart to the Good by virtue of the fact that truth is good. And since false premises produce false conclusions, your chewing gum logic may be useless, too. How could you possibly know?
    You've formed a Mobius strip with words. Beats me.

Orrrrrr. I have reached a level of wisdom so I am allowed to know the truth. Maybe I should not share it. That would make me the devil.
    Last edited by fudgetusk; 11-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Closed
    You've formed a Mobius strip with words. Beats me.
    I'll take that as a concession. Have a nice day.

I'll take that as a concession. Have a nice day.
    As I did not understand your point I cannot concede. You could be talking nonsense.

So yeah. Love is a drug.

all comes down to love? What about horrid things like what Corey Feldman went through? Surely that wasn't love.
    I never specified a love for what or whom. Love of self, power, money, another person, a beliefs system, one of them (or any other) is always at play.
    “Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist.
    Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”

G.K. Chesterton

Blog Entries
    Love is God's drug to keep us from being monsters.
    Without the chemicals in the brain we would not survive as a species since we would not reproduce. However, I don’t think we would be monsters. We would not exist. For our species (as well as other pair bonding species) we need two types of love-motivating chemicals that can be found within our individual bodies: (1) We need to be motivated by pleasure to reproduce, and (2) we need to be motivated by pain to keep the reproductive pair together.

That there are pleasure-pain approaches to achieve this implies we can make choices which go against them. The very existence of these chemicals imply we have some free will. We are agents.

If we were isolated individuals, it would stop there. We would be our individuated bodies. However, we are also members of a species, not isolated members of an aggregate or group. How we relate to our communities comes from motivation outside our individual selves. This is where we can talk about our species and perhaps other forms of consciousness above our own and get to God or Universal Mind or Love.

The motivation I am talking about can also be explored scientifically through studies asking if aspects of morality originate in our species. See Jonathan Haidt’s “The Righteous Mind” to see how this can be developed from an atheistic perspective. It doesn’t have to go all the way to God, but I don’t think it makes sense not to go all the way.
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-04-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Something to read about love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love

https://www.zenlama.com/oxytocin-the...te-comparison/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275795.php

This one you should read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...ists-find.html

"The brains of people shown images of their lovers react similarly to those of drug addicts, a US experiment found. "

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...alling-in-love
    Last edited by fudgetusk; 11-04-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Without the chemicals in the brain we would not survive as a species since we would not reproduce. However, I don’t think we would be monsters. We would not exist. For our species (as well as other pair bonding species) we need two types of love-motivating chemicals that can be found within our individual bodies: (1) We need to be motivated by pleasure to reproduce, and (2) we need to be motivated by pain to keep the reproductive pair together.

That there are pleasure-pain approaches to achieve this implies we can make choices which go against them. The very existence of these chemicals imply we have some free will. We are agents.

If we were isolated individuals, it would stop there. We would be our individuated bodies. However, we are also members of a species, not isolated members of an aggregate or group. How we relate to our communities comes from motivation outside our individual selves. This is where we can talk about our species and perhaps other forms of consciousness above our own and get to God or Universal Mind or Love.

The motivation I am talking about can also be explored scientifically through studies asking if aspects of morality originate in our species. See Jonathan Haidt’s “The Righteous Mind” to see how this can be developed from an atheistic perspective. It doesn’t have to go all the way to God, but I don’t think it makes sense not to go all the way.
    There is a psychological aspect to love. Which is a fear based psychology. We fear being alone. Because we can better protect ourselves in a group. Animals do not have this on the whole. evolution did not go that way.

Love is fear. And a drug.

As for the spiritual aspects we can only guess. I believe if love is a spiritual energy(words do not really work with this kind of thinking)then it has an effect on us. Otherwise why would it exist? It brings pleasure. Anything that skews your mind in the favour of pleasure is a drug and is a form of mind control. If not then heaven will be just as bad a place as earth.

conjecture, but logical?

True with out any influence we would be nothing. I would take love over hate. But I have no illusions that all things are a form of restraint. Even my words.

Blog Entries
    Prairie voles have pair-bonding like we do. These animals helped researchers in the late 20th century identify where our pair-bonding came from.

At the individual level we can study the brain and try to see what influences our minds there. Calling those influences a “drug” makes sense to me. The extreme, materialist (or physicalist) view is that our brains generate our minds, but I don’t think that is true.

If it is not true then there are other sources outside of us that also provide us with an influence or drug. I think one can immediately point to the species level for the source of this larger influence. This means the Universal Mind(s) is at least as large as each species of life out there. Just establishing the existence of that is problematic for the physicalist view because it means our minds are not reducible to our brains. The brain becomes more like a transformer of a larger mind.

I think there is evidence for a larger influence than our brains in Niles Eldredge’s punctuated equilibrium, a species based view of Darwinian evolution, in Robert Prechter’s social mood using Elliott Waves in socionomics and in Jonathan Haidt’s moral foundations that we participate in prior to socialization. I don’t know if any of these people are theists, but their arguments don’t depend on theism.

The kinds of restraint we experience are evidence that we are not determined. In spite of all the environmental influences, both from within and from without us, the fact that they are carrots and sticks, pleasures and pain, “drugs” suggest to me that we are agents, able to make choices, or there would be a stricter determinism involved, more like pressing a button on a robot kind of determinism.
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Depends how tasty the carrot is. Brain love can sure be powerful. It's an influence. That's what I'm saying. God love, if it is as good as some say, would be even more of an influence. The debate between influence and determinism is difficult to evaluate. Who knows how many subtle influences there are in any decision we make. Mentalists demonstrate how predictable and easily influenced we are.

>>Niles Eldredge’s punctuated equilibrium

There is a conspiracy theorist who relies on science called David Wilcock. who says there is fossil evidence that there are leaps in evolution across the planet every few thousand years. Animals die off and new ones appear. I haven't read his evidence though. He puts it down to cosmic rays. He says we are due one of these change periods. Hope I develop a trunk.
    Last edited by fudgetusk; 11-10-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast