Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is love????

An idea, often confused with "like" or "lust".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
    Depends how tasty the carrot is. Brain love can sure be powerful. It's an influence. That's what I'm saying. God love, if it is as good as some say, would be even more of an influence. The debate between influence and determinism is difficult to evaluate. Who knows how many subtle influences there are in any decision we make. Mentalists demonstrate how predictable and easily influenced we are.

>>Niles Eldredge’s punctuated equilibrium

There is a conspiracy theorist who relies on science called David Wilcock. who says there is fossil evidence that there are leaps in evolution across the planet every few thousand years. Animals die off and new ones appear. I haven't read his evidence though. He puts it down to cosmic rays. He says we are due one of these change periods. Hope I develop a trunk.
    I haven’t read Wilcock either, but I don’t trust neo-Darwinism (phyletic gradualism) and it doesn't seem like Wilcock does either. I don’t think the every few thousand years is correct. Perhaps he is saying something different? It does not seem to be cyclic so much as spiral-like. I expect the human species to be around for hundreds of millions if not billions of years from now without undergoing phyletic gradualism although some speciation might occur.

I recommend Niles Eldredge’s “Eternal Ephemera” (2015) for a survey of ideas associated with Darwinian evolution. He and Gould promoted punctuated equilibrium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

Blog Entries
    Speaking only for myself I think for the me the highest form of love I have bene capable of is always putting the welfare, needs, and desires of the other entirely before my own with no real attempt to make a claim for myself in return. I have been honored in return with trust, care and a true concern for my hopes, desires and needs. There has what began as affection and friendliness to a genuine care for the other and without really either of us 'working' at it-it has become a relationship of great value and a firm foundation bsed on mutual respect and yes--love--of a sort (for this I mean-a deep friendship--not erotic in nature.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Love is something that takes a long time to bring rewards. One must be patient, which, when young, is not always easy. Always rushing for the next thrill...

Blog Entries
    If we are in a rationalist perspective, love is a relationship between individuals. If we are in a traditional perspective love sustains a local community and beyond.

It is very hard to see this traditional perspective today. Today we confuse love with individual altruism toward other individuals aggregated into groups (not communities) as opposed to individual selfishness generated by the chemicals in our individual brains. True, our individual bodies will need erotic love for the species to survive, but we are not forced into erotic relationships.

These pleasure/plain chemicals encourage pairing up and not leaving for our pair-bonding species, but they do not force it upon us. There is more. It is that more we have forgotten, thinking we know it all today. The living out of the experience of love keeps bringing us back to reality to continue to question rationalist common sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123