Thread: How come threads get hundreds, sometimes thousands, of views, but nobody responds?

How come threads get hundreds, sometimes thousands, of views, but nobody responds?

Like seriously?

Some become shy when their comments are derided (it happens more than one would think)... many even leave (hill, Maryd., daffy for instance). I try to stick to games and poetry (and a few others) and leave my betters to expound (or not) on the more esoteric. Even in the poetry threads there are some who take offense when critique doesn't meet their expectations... so I rarely comment anymore, though I read everything of the poetic vein.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Enchant Me

Your very being a desire for answer
    Lament not your unassailable mystery
    Enchant me with your dreams

5-14-2005
    A Poet in Garden Valley

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    And, as I told another short story author these days, one gets discouraged if there is no feedback of the authors.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Blog Entries
    If I find a post interesting, I post something on it. I like talking especially about stuff I know little about because that is the way I learn. But it takes time and energy to make even a simple comment. It is true some people as tailor STATELY mentions are intimidated. Also Danik makes a good point that people who start threads don't seem interested in keeping the conversation going when they do get comments.
    Le cœur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. --Pascal

I work hard to bring you guys something to read and nobody responds!

Have you seen Dato´s review of your last short story?

This is a slow time on the forum, both for postings and feedback. In the past, we've had more of both, and hopefully that wave comes in again.

Regarding your posts specifically, you might look at the first part of Tailor's reply to this one and then reread your often unwelcoming, to put it mildly, responses to others who have tried to offer you feedback. It's nonsensical to repeatedly tell people outright to stop posting in your threads simply because their response doesn't exactly fit the only template you've decided you will accept, and then wonder why nobody does.

You are right about writing being hard work, and I don't doubt the effort you put into yours. You have gotten compliments. My suggestion at this point would be to create a new account and adopt a new philosophy and try posting again.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    As Tailor has noted, many of the past contributors, ( inclusive some rather exotic individuals) have disappeared, or input less frequently.

In my own case, I used to write short stories, but dried up!!!

M.

Blog Entries
    They don't make any comments because they're not compelled to make comments. On another site called Scribophile, in order to post a story you need five of what they call karma points. In order to get these you have to do critiques yourself. One over a one-hundred word critique earns you a point.

When your story comes under what they call a "spotlight" it going to get three or more critiques itself, guaranteed. You can't guarantee the critiques will be worthwhile, but just like here, when one of your stories is about to come under a spotlight for maximum points, you can give your friends a heads-up and get one worth reading.

Just sayin.

Blog Entries
    I don't see Lit Net as a place where writers should expect to get critiques of their work. If one posts something here it has been "published". A critiquing site would have to protect read access to only members so that posts are not considered to be published and the story or poem when it is finished can be submitted for publication elsewhere. I think anyone can read poetry or stories here without being a member, but I may be wrong.

Yes. One doesn´t need to log in to read the posts.

Blog Entries
    In that case, posts here are like posts to public blogs. They are publications. That is how I treat what I post here. Scribeophile, that Steven Hunley mentions, might provide a critiquing environment. I don't know. I think Eratosphere does the same for poetry.

Why would someone post something here? It would be another place to quickly publish something besides on your blog to gain wider exposure or just for fun. You can always use it again later since you retain the copyright. Comments here are ways to engage with readers. If one actively comments on other people's writing one can expect to receive comments from them as well. They are more acknowledgements and encouragement, not critiques.

There are also local groups one can join to meet people personally. I am a member of the Illinois State Poetry Society and Prairie Writers Guild. They workshop/critique writing, but I find the main benefit is the social interaction.
    Last edited by YesNo; 06-14-2017 at 09:23 AM.