Thread: Research Paper

Unregistered

No Subject

I actually am finishing an intense research paper dealign with teh stylistic differences between Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and the later novel, Through the Looking Glass. Through analyzing various critical interpretations of the novels ( for that was the assignment) I reached the conclusion that ALice is NOT a classic bcause it contains hidden symbolization. The reader must remember that Carroll wrote teh first nvoel for a child audience. I believe that the first novel is NOT a symbolic, allegorical novel, rather a whimsical, entertaining piece of literature devoid of a deeper meaning. However, I also concluded that although ALice is a light-hearted novel, the second books ( which is more contrived) does contain deeper symbolic meaning.

Unregistered

No Subject

you should take more care when you type.. especially if you're doing a research paper

Jacqulyn Gutowski

Research Paper

I am a junior in High School. For my English class I was required to write a research paper on Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I researched the book to great extent and found many hidden meanings about government and other means that young children would never be capable of comprehending, and I myself many have missed. However, as a young adult I enjoyed the literature greatly. This is an entertaining book for people of many ages.

So True

Ahh, you speak the truth in your post. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a very whimsical tale, and Carroll did in fact write it for a children audience. And I do agree that Through the Looking Glass contains a lot more symbolism, and that is why, to a great amount of people, it is a harder read than the first. Little children who are unassociated with its underlying chess game structure will not recieve the full message Carroll wrote it to give. I myself found it to be a good deal more difficult to read.
    Yet, Wonderland continues to be heralded as a classic.
    Why is that?
    Well, if one were to examine the times when Carroll wrote it, it was regarded not much more than a fairy tale. It was not an overnight sensation like some classics. But over the many years, it has gained classic status.
    My thoughts on why:
    First, the book is so odd and different from any British author's work during the mid-1800's era. It sticks out because of the content, which is at times so out in the middle of nowhere that literature scholars, the ones you have obviously been studying, look it at from the viewpoint as just being a flat and simple story that was wrote to appease little children. This is not wrong. Like I said, the book was indeed wrote to entertain children. But it is its difference that makes it a unique classic.
    Secondly, children weave some of the reputations for some classics on the website. Look at Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz. Their main audience is children, but they are regarded as classic all of the same. And if I had to choose a more classical book out of The Wizard of Oz and Wonderland, without hesitation, I would choose Wonderland. So you cannot say that Wonderland is not a classic because it is just appealing to children.
    Just my opinion.