Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: RIP Antonio Candido

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RIP Antonio Candido

One of the most learned, lucid and corageous literary critics died this morning in São Paulo, aged 98. An significant part of 20C Brazilian book culture goes to the grave with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Candido
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I couldn't find anything by him in the local libraries. I'll keep him in mind. Why do you call him "courageous"?

Blog Entries
    Yes/No, this seems to be the only group of his essays that has been translated into English.
    http://press.princeton.edu/titles/5631.html
    Maybe it is available in one of the libraries. The problem with literary essays is that one usually has to read the narratives or the poems first they refer to, to fully enjoy the essay.
    Antonio Candido was a gigantic reference when I was at the university. I still had the opportunity to hear some classes. He was so revered that at the graduation ceremony of my class, as one of the girls was going to offer him a flower as part of the ceremony, another girl took the flower out of her hand and so "stole"the honor of offering a flower to Antonio Candido. He is also known In Portugal and South American countries. But he is little known I believe in English speaking countries.
    The "courageous" refers to his political attitudes. When he already was over eighty he still got involved in the political activities of the university and participated in the demos.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    That account of one girl stealing a flower out of another girl's hand to give to Candido is quite charming. I can imagine the hostility that must have occurred afterwards.

Blog Entries
    The first girl was a friend of mine and the organizer of the event. She was very angry as you can imagine. I can´t remember any more who was the second girl. Anyway, Candido took the rose when it was offered to him and that was that.It´s almost 30 years ago. He was already an old man but still very active at that time.