Thread: I think I found a plot hole

I think I found a plot hole

Smedryakov wanted Ivan to go to Tchermashnya instead of to Moskow. There's no reason for him to want that, so Dostoevsky made a mistake here. I'm surprised that I'm the first to catch this, lol.

In the chapter "A Rather Obscure One" Smerdyakov implies how the alibi is better for Ivan if he is in Moscow not Chermashnya, which is close enough to go to, return to commit the murder, and then go back to Chermashnya. If, however, Ivan goes to Moscow, it is too far for him to establish an alibi and return to commit the crime and then return to Moscow. In Chapter 7 Ivan himself says: ..."...You see...I'm going to Chermashnya...," somehow suddenly escaped from Ivan Fyodorovich; again, as the day before, it flew out by itself, accompanied by a kind of nervous chuckle. He kept remembering it for a longtime afterward.". Essentially when he leaves, everyone including himself thinks he's headed for Chermashnya. Only once on the road does Ivan change his mind. Same chapter 'It's Always Interesting': ..."And why did I report to him that I was going to Chermashnya?" ...glanced at the stationmaster's wife, and suddenly walked back out on the porch. "Forget about Chermashnya, brothers. Am I too late to get to the railway by seven o'clock?" ... "We'll just make it. Shall we harness up?" ... "At once. Will one of you be in town tomorrow?" ...Stop and see my father and tell him I'm that I didn't go to Chermashnya. Can you do that?" So, I don't think there' a hole in the plot. Re-read chapters 7 and 8 and let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by siobankelley View Post
    In the chapter "A Rather Obscure One" Smerdyakov implies how the alibi is better for Ivan if he is in Moscow not Chermashnya, which is close enough to go to, return to commit the murder, and then go back to Chermashnya. If, however, Ivan goes to Moscow, it is too far for him to establish an alibi and return to commit the crime and then return to Moscow.
    I don't get at all what you are saying with this. I just reread the chapters and I don't see anything connected with what you are saying. Can you tell me where does "Smederyakov implies" that?
    Last edited by whitenig; 04-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Chapters Six and Seven in book 5. My bad! At the end of Chapter Six 'A Rather Obscure One for the Moment" the last 5 pages Smerdyakov specifically tells Ivan about the 'knocking code' that he, Smerdykov and now Dmitri know. The 'knocking code' was devised to alert Fyodor that Agrafena had arrived. Agrafena, for fear of discovery and Dmitri's jealousy had agreed only to come around midnight to see Fyodor. When she arrives, formerly Grigory (who is now ill) and now Smerdyakov are to knock on Fyodor's locked door to alert him that it is safe to open the door because it is Agrafena, not Dmitri. Also, there is a 'knocking code' to alert Fyodor that Dmitri has arrived so that Fyodor won't inadvertently let Dmitri in. Then Smerdyakov goes on to crochet the possible alibi for Ivan. He mentions the yellow envelope with $3,000.oo, and points out the Moscow, is further away than Chermashnya. By being in Moscow, Ivan could establish that he was too far away to have commited the theft of stealing the envelope, should he chose to do so, since Smerdyakove assures him that he will be unable to warn Fyodor because he will have succumbed to a 'falling spell'. Smerdyakov: ..."Would I dare laugh at you, sir, ...I anticipate that a falling fit will come on me, I have this anticipation, it will come from fear alone, sir." Ivan points out that even if Smerdyakov has a fit and is unable to execute the 'knocking code' that Grigory would be on duty. Smerdyakov points out that Grigory doesn't know the code and even if he did Smerdyakov: ..."By no means would I dare tell Grigory Vasilievich about the signals without the master's orders, sir. And concerning Grigory Vasilievich hearing and not letting him (Dmitri) in, he's come down sick today, ever since yesterday, and Marfa Ignatievna is going to give him the treatment tomorrow."... Finally, six paragraphs from the end of Chapter 6 Book 5 Smerdyakov: ..."The only thing is that they might trouble you from here in Moscow, by telegraph, sir, in some such case." (Thereby establishing Ivan in Moscow which is further away and Chermashnya is near enough for Ivan to execute the knocking at midnight, kill dad, take the money and flee back to Chermashnya. It would not be possible to commit the crime near midnight and get back to Moscow in time to receive a telegraph.) Ivan himself says two paragraphs before the end of Chapter Six~~ Ivan: ... Only Moscow is further and Chermashnya is nearer---..." I believe the set up is for Dmitri to arrive, knock his way into Fyodor's home, do whatever fist-to-cuffs he would and take the money as well. I don't imagine either Ivan or Smerdyakov anticipated Fyodor's death in any case. Sorry about giving the wrong Chapters/Book.

Wait, this is complicated, but I think I got it right. So you want to tell me that Smerdyakov hoped that Ivan would kill the father, and he was telling him to go to Chermasnya so he would have time to go to Chermasnya, come back, kill his father, and go back to Chermashnya to recieve the telegraph?

Dammit, Dostoevsky.

Smerdryakov doesn't care where Ivan goes. He just wants part of the $3,000 (to keep his mouth shut should Ivan decide to take the $3,000.oo) Fyodor wanting Ivan to go to Chermashnya all but guarantees that Ivan WON'T go to Chermashnya. Just by suggesting the same thing that Fyodor wants he knows that Ivan won't go It's a manipulation, same reason he tells him 'the knocking code'.

I know, Damn Dostoevsky! LOL If Ivan does go to Chermashnya there is NO alibi. It's too close. You could actually come at midnight, do the knock code, be admitted, take the money, do whatever to Dad, return to Chermashnya before morning when the body is likely to be discovered by servants. By going to Moscow, you would arrive roughly a couple of hours before telegraphs start flying. If they telegraph him in Chermashnya, and he's in Moscow, that bears witness to him NOT being able to physical commit the crime, since nobody would be able to find him to give him the telegraph. By receiving the telegraph in Moscow, he has witnesses of the receipt thereof. Thereby exonerating him and taking him off the suspect list, as it were.