Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nano story contest

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This story made me think. On one hand I liked very much the idea of including someone else in one´s safety glen.

On the other hand it is a safety that´s based uniquely in what the narrator sees. It may be an illusory safety like when one decides not to read the newspaper so as not to get the bad news.

I have one idea for a nano story, but it doesn´t fit the proposed theme.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    This guy living in the cabin probably doesn't get the newspaper. You're right about his idea of safety being illusory, but it is safety that works for the most part. So he is generous, but his view of reality is limited.

Since no one has submitted yet, I'll change the theme to "fairy glen or anything else you want to write about". Fairy glens are a little odd.

Blog Entries
    Fairy glens are cute, but my story isn´t. I´ll post it as soon as Ive written it.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Great! Those fairy glens can be too cute although I haven't seen any, cute or otherwise.

Blog Entries
    The contest is still going on!

Here's another story.

The Funeral

Senor Nanjo Castille sat alone in the church except for his bodyguards. No one else dared attend. They crossed the line this time.

As the Mass for the Dead progressed his business adversary’s money laundering restaurant was destroyed. Twelve dead. The warehouse was next. Fourteen dead. Then the offices. One hundred dead.

In his adversary’s desperation the expected fight around the church began. It lasted ten minutes.

When the service ended Senor Castille walked behind the caskets outside the church and viewed the mess in the street. Then he went to the cemetery to bury his wife and daughter.

Blog Entries
    Good story, Yes/No! It seems that only Seńor Castille survived the fight.

Blog Entries
    He and his team survived. His adversary was completely ruined. At least that is the simplistic way my imagination saw the story. Of course, he lost his family. Thanks, Danik!

Blog Entries
    There is my story:

The Invasion

At first, nobody noticed them. Maybe there was slightly more dust than usual.

The invisible enemies attacked by night. First, they came in small groups, but the groups multiplied.

Their warriors infested heads, bodies; they hid in cupboards and clothes. Once they were there, there was not getting rid of them.

They feasted on the blood of beasts and humans. They were resisted every attempt of extermination.
    Their victims died one by one out of panic.
    But what the mites didn´t know: once their food hosts disappeared…
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 11-11-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice one, Danik! Too much victory leads to defeat.

Now that there is one entry, I will wait a week to see if any one else wants to add a story to this contest. The winner gets to set a new theme (or leave it open) and judge the next contest.

Deadline: Monday evening, November 20th.

Blog Entries
    The deadline has arrived. Congratulations, Danik! You won!

Blog Entries
    Lol! Rather a melancholy victory.

Well, anyway, let´s put up a new promp.

The next theme is "Thanksgiving".

Blog Entries

Thanksgiving

Dr Roquetscienski made the final tweak to his program that would send him back into time to get even for the scorn his peers indelicately expressed with smirks and silence. He sat at the control panel in his basement. He took a deep breath and pressed Enter.

“Are you sure?” appeared on the monitor.

He pressed the Yes button and waited. The machined hummed. The lights blinked. Nothing happened. What convinced him the experiment failed, again, was hearing Martha calling from the kitchen. “Oh, Bobbie! Bobbie! It’s garbage day! Time to take out the garbage. Give me a G! G! Give me an A! A! Give me an R! R! Give me a--uh?--B! B! Give me an A! A! Give me a G! G! Give me an E! E! What’s that spell? Garbage! What’s that spell? Garbage!”

Robert turned off the machine and walked up the basement stairs. He looked into his wife’s blue-green eyes and realized two things.

First, in spite of everything, Martha had no contempt for him. He wondered about her sanity because of that.

Second, one thing he could do right, right now, was take out the garbage and so he did.

Coming back inside he was thankful for a third thing. He was glad his machine didn’t work. If it had, the damage to Martha would have been unpredictable.

Blog Entries
    Good story, specially as the reasons for thankfulness aren´t so usual. This is not the first time Dr Roquetscienski succors the short story threads.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 11-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Danik! I've used Robert Roquetscienski and his wife Martha before even having him tinkering in the basement. This is the first time he's shown much empathy toward her.

Blog Entries
    As a way to keep the thread active, here is my story accepted as story 035 of Christopher Fielden's "Ville's Preposterously Placed Prepositions Writing Challenge": http://www.christopherfielden.com/wr...-challenge.php

-------------------------------

Two Guys Who Wouldn’t Settle Down

Aliens beamed Paul up. He wondered why they left his girlfriend below? She’ll find another. Then warp speed kicked in. It always kicked something in.

Elsewhere Jack’s time machine was acting up. He watched the locals gather around. They never saw a human before. Besides something tasty doesn’t pop into one’s universe every day and that was all they were thinking of.

Paul’s girlfriend, to her credit, but against her good judgment, reported him “beamed up”.

Jack hadn’t had a decent girlfriend in a dozen gravitational entanglements to worry about. So no one bothered wasting any space-time getting him back.

--------------------------------

The challenge had some requirements. (1) Maximum word count: 100 (2) Sentences should end with prepositions.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast