Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Nano story contest

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Two stories where the dreams take over reality.

Yes/No - Jason broods about reality and dreams until he is able to sleep and dream freely. Love as oblivion and source of dreams.

Bluehound´s nightmare "Dreams", draws it´s effect from the perspective of the dreamer.

Congratulations to both. And the winner is Bluehound.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, Bluehound!

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your winning entry, Bluehound.
    All entries were exquisite I must say!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I'm curious about the next prompt, Bluehound!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Yes, we need a topic for the next round, Bluehound.

Blog Entries
    Here's a very short story I wrote last week. It had to be no more nor less that 81 words (excluding title) for the anthology "81 Words". When Chris Fielden gets 1000 stories he will publish it and hope it will win a Guiness Book of World Records for a collection with the most individual authors. I am just doing my part for a worthy cause. http://www.christopherfielden.com/wr...es/81words.php

I’m Rooting for the Ghost

After Michael saw the ghost he understood. What he understood he would not say. True knowledge should not be made so literal that any monkey could understand it.

Anne sympathized with him but she thought his deranged prefrontal whatchamacallit generated the ghost. Otherwise why was he locked up with her?

Michael told her she could escape with him through the skylight of the cell. Anne said she would consider it. That was the only reason Michael told the ghost to wait.

Blog Entries
    Interesting project, Yes/No. I´ll see if I manage to write a good story.
    I read the story on your blog, but was a bit puzzled about it. I didn´t understand why the couple was in a cell.

I´ll PM Bluehound, but I don´t know if he is still participating.

Blog Entries
    They were in a mental institution. Michael's "deranged prefrontal whatchamacallit" was intended to suggest that.

I have been reading some of the other challenges that Christopher Fielden has on his sites. I am also reading the contest results from his 2016 To Hull and Back competition. He is hoping anyone that contributes will purchase an ebook or physical book of the final product which I don't mind doing. The profits go to charity. He doesn't sell many books. Also one of the good things is that he doesn't require first publication rights on submitted stories. So I can post them on my blog or here at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I think, having one book for oneself, family and friends will be nice. One only must be a bit carefull, some of these publishers devise funny ways to make money out of these contributions.

I once wrote a poem and sent it, because they offered an literary analysis on my poetic potential. Oh, well I thought, it is free. Well, the poem was published on their site, but then it wandered from anthology to anthology because I didn´t pay for me. They offered me to sell all things you can imagine: a cup or a plate with the poem on it, paid conferences (a kind of fake laureating), etc.

As you have several nano stories already, it could be a nice idea, creating and publishing your own anthology, if that is not too expensive,

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've heard of those publishers. This one seems different. It is more of a humor site, but I am still getting used to it. There is no requirement to buy a copy of the book. There is another place I am looking at: https://www.indiesunlimited.com/

I might as well start a new nano contest. The theme will be "fairy glens". The deadline: one week after the first entry is posted. Word count: under 250 words, but the shorter the better since this is a "nano" thread.

Blog Entries
    The nano contest is still going on, but to keep this thread active I'll post some of my stories here.

The following story I'm writing for Chris Fielden's Colossal Cliché Writing Challenge: http://www.christopherfielden.com/wr...-challenge.php He doesn't require first rights to enter his challenge and so I can publish the story here that I plan to submit later this coming week. The story has a max of 150 words and requires cliche phrases and character stereotypes. I am still fine-tuning this trying to increase the number of cliches and make sure it is appropriate for school children to read (another requirement).

-----------------------------

Patience

Robert Roketscienski blamed his time machine’s failure on not having an adequate extension cord. He blamed the failure to dump his consciousness into an innocent computer on not having enough consciousness to dump, but he was strong. He would persevere. He would follow his star wherever its dark matter led.

The universe, however, was stronger. Patricia Payninbut, Head, Department of Decoherence, stepped into his office dressed in high heels, miniskirt and enhanced body parts twinkling her baby blues.

“Don’t sit there.”

She sat there and Robert lost it. He jumped on her. She giggled. She only started screaming when she realized he was dragging her outside and bolting the door.

Now what? Should he tell Patricia that a wormhole in a parallel universe collapsed its wave function as she sat on it? Why would anyone believe something like that? No. He would be patient. Nature loves to take its course.

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed that story, Yes/No. Certain kind of impulses may retard the development of the universe.

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread. 250 is a good number. I'll think of something.

Blog Entries
    I forgot about it also. That's why I posted something. The nano contest is still going on.

While waiting for some one to enter the contest, I revised the story for Fielden's Cliche Writing Challenge, adding more cliches including one in the title.

--------------------------

Keeping His Cool

Robert Roketscienski’s luck was running out. His students accused him of trying to dump their consciousness into an innocent computer. He told them they didn’t have any consciousness to dump. That’s why nothing happened, but he’ll follow his star wherever its dark matter leads.

The universe, however, had other plans. Patricia Payninbut, Head of the Decoherence Department, waltzed into his office dressed to kill in high heels, miniskirt and enhanced body parts twinkling her baby blues.

“Don’t sit there.”

She sat there and Robert lost it. He jumped at her and she giggled. She only started screaming when she realized he was dragging her outside and bolting the door.

Now what? Should he tell Patricia the truth, that a wormhole in a parallel universe collapsed its wave function when she sat on it? Who would believe something like that? No. He'll keep his cool. Nature loves to run its course.
    Last edited by YesNo; 10-16-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    The contest is still going on. The theme is "fairy glens".

While waiting for entries, here is one of mine:

The Porch as Chair

He used the floor of the cabin’s open porch as a chair dangling his legs. The chickens were safe. The dog was safe.

He figured if he couldn’t see it, it wasn’t there. No fairies. No unicorns. The trees weren’t watching. The sun didn’t care. He was safe.

Then he saw her walk up his long path. She was watching him for some time and decided to make her move. She needed a place to stay. After they spoke his understanding of safety expanded to include her.

Now they both sat on the porch. He promised to make chairs.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast