Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy food x tasty food

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Healthy food x tasty food

Of late I have been forced to pay more attention to what I eat. Many of the items I like to eat, like chocolate, sweets, pizza and pasta are not considered very healthy.
    So I want to open a discussion about healthy eating habits. Some questions to help:
    What is healthy food for you?
    Do you usually eat healthy food or do you love to eat the "villains" of a healthy nutrition?
    Are you on a special diet for medical reasons?
    Are there any items of food you avoid for medical or other reasons?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I am not on any particular diet. My weight and other measurements are in normal range. We generally eat organic foods and little animal protein. One food I enjoy eating is stone cut oats with milk. The idea of eating pizza occasionally crosses my mind since slices are sold at Costco where we shop, but I usually don't find it interesting enough to wait in the line. Another problem with eating a slice of it is that I feel very thirsty afterwards which I figure cannot be good. We drink coffee but no sodas or juice. The milk is mainly for yogurt which we make ourselves and those oats.

Blog Entries
    Your normal diet seems to be very healthy, congrats Yes/No. We have organic food here too, but it nomally is very expensive.
    I love pizza, here in São Paulo we have different kinds of it, in slices and whole, it used to be a Sunday programm. But I own that it isnīt a healthy kind of food.
    How do you make stone cut oats? The only type of oats that I know are those you get in a packet in the supermarket.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've noticed that more and more, foods are becoming tasteless, this applies to fruit and vegetables, too. A lot of people get unwell from eating bread, even the wholemeal bread we buy. Gluten-free is becoming more common in shops and restaurants.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you are right. That applies to industrialized food, but fruit and vegetables often are treated with chemicals too. I also buy "wholemeal" bread, but here often they just sprinkle normal meal with some whole bread corns, and that is that. Of late I substituted bread for tapioca pancakes for breakfast. Tapioca is a kind of maniok stark. It tastes of nothing but it is naturally gluten free and more digestible than bread.

Blog Entries
    I'm a vegetarian and people often think that means a healthy lifestyle, it doesn't. Pizza and french fries are my favourite. I consider a veggie hamburger the perfect meal, it has everything in every bite. I don't drink soda and rarely juices, I make fruit boosts every now and then, my son loves them, but they can very fruit sugary. I almost only drink water, coffee and tea, no milk or sugar in the latter two. I hardly ever eat candy (last Easter though my son gave me for my birthday a chocolate egg, it was 1 kg of candy). Chips are a weekend treat and I eat a lot of pasta.

I do take iron and B12 in pill form, just to be sure I get enough, I once had a B12 deficiency and it came out in hair loss, bald spots! so I make sure that won't happen again.

I have been thinking about trying to get me and my son to eat 5 fruits and veggies a day, I get it sometimes, but most days it's more like 3-4.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Why donīt you think vegetarianism healthy?
    Five fruits and veggies a day seems tough to me though, unless one loves them very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Your normal diet seems to be very healthy, congrats Yes/No. We have organic food here too, but it nomally is very expensive.
    I love pizza, here in São Paulo we have different kinds of it, in slices and whole, it used to be a Sunday programm. But I own that it isnīt a healthy kind of food.
    How do you make stone cut oats? The only type of oats that I know are those you get in a packet in the supermarket.
    I buy the stone cut oats rather than the rolled oats because someone told me they were better. Both are available here, but I don't know if one is better or not. We eat organic food because that is what my wife buys. Not everything is organic. I would buy whatever is cheapest. I would also skip all meat except for the pizza where I'd order the "combo", if I bothered at all, which has who-knows-what on it. It looks more colorful. I think I'm getting more for my money with the "combo", but that is probably not true.

To make oats (rolled or stone cut) is easy. Heat a cup of water containing a little salt to boiling. Put half a cup of oats in the boiling water. Cook at medium temperature for 7 minutes, then let it rest with no heat for 3 or more minutes. Put it in a bowl and pour milk over it. The milk is optional.

Blog Entries
    I was under the impression you did the cutting too. I love them also, and porridge. But here we just have just big or small oat flakes. And I love Müsli too. This one can also be prepared at home by adding fruit and /or nuts to the oats or any other kind of cereal.

Blog Entries
    I think oat flakes may be what I refer to as rolled oats, but I'm not sure. You can add a lot more than milk to this. I think it is a kind of "porridge".

Blog Entries
    I loved the porridge my mother used to make (itīs rather long ago). She cooked the oats with a bit of butter or oil and salt and than we ate it with milk and sugar.

Blog Entries
    My mother used to add butter as well. That might make it taste better.

I am reading Jonathan Haidt's "The Righteous Mind". He presents an "intuitionism" model for moral psychology following Hume. It has five biological, "organized prior to experience" tastes for morality. One of them he labels "divinity". In this descriptive model, people are "organized" for purity or cleanliness prior to cultural experience based on this divinity "module". I think organic food or vegetarianism may be viewed by some portion of society as being morally cleaner.

Yes many do view meat consumption as morally abhorrent. Killing the sacred cow in India has a death penalty but the chicken is up for grabs. The religious and secular world picks and chooses its diet for all sorts of reasons. Perhaps we need to turn to the animal world for a lead as to a morally acceptable diet. Its a simple one if you have meat teeth use em, and if your hungry eat whatever you can.

Blog Entries
    Yes/no and Magnocrat
    I suppose with a vegetarian diet in first place itīs the body that feels better and cleaner. Much of the food one eats and likes is highly intoxicating as I was made to feel these days. I had to stop eating anything sweet or fat. The basis of my detox diet was Japanese rice (a rice cooked without any kind of fat or seasoning) and green tea.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Yes/no and Magnocrat
    I suppose with a vegetarian diet in first place itīs the body that feels better and cleaner. Much of the food one eats and likes is highly intoxicating as I was made to feel these days. I had to stop eating anything sweet or fat. The basis of my detox diet was Japanese rice (a rice cooked without any kind of fat or seasoning) and green tea.
    This subject is relevant to the last post in my thread on neoliberalism. Modern farming technology is highly technical and the exhaustion of the soil is apparent from that! People often eat more than they need just to get the nutrition they lack. I doesn't work, anyway. But it is an interesting argument.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast