Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever change your mind about a classic literary work in verse or prose?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you ever change your mind about a classic literary work in verse or prose?

One case I remember, I was shocked with The Lord of the Flies the first time I read it but now it is one of my favourite English novel.
    It also can happen that one grows out of a once very much cherished book or even author.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

What is the importance of verse and prose?

Well, Crime and Punishment. When i first read i was bothering my father to buy me Agatha Christie books. Lazy he took Crime and Punishment off the shelves. There is a crime of course, but we know the killer since earlier chapters. Years latter I read again and became Dostoievsky.

Blog Entries
    So, your father, it seems not intentionally, introduced you to a great Russian author.

I mentioned verse and prose because some Litnetters prefer reading poetry, while others like myself prefer prose.

My first encounter with Dostoievsky, was also, more or less by accident. You certainly remember the collection of classic novels with red hard cover Abril started to publish in the sixties/seventies.The Brother Karamazow was, if I remember rightly, the first volume of the collection. I read it and was so impressed that I searched for other works of the author.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 04-23-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

He was just being lazy. In the same shelf, there was Poe tales with proper detective stories

Yeah, Brothers K is the number one. Still have all those books.

Reggarding Machado, I changed my opinion about Dom Casmuro, but not after reading it again, but after reading O Alienista. I still dislike A Mão e a Luva. José de Alencar, while I am not a great fan of his works, well, I think Encarnação a great novel, that deserves a new appraisal and is a percussor of some Henry James works and Dorian Gray.

Blog Entries
    Did your father like literature?

I didn´t read A Mão e a Luva or Iaiá Garcia. From Machado´s romantic novels I only read Helena.
    I like Alencar, but not all his works. Encarnação is a wonderful depiction of an obssession IMO.

Not exactly that much, albeit he always read a little, but my greatfather was a historian with more than 50 books published, so there was always books nearby.

Blog Entries
    I may have read books by him. I like history. I just wonder what he would think of our contemporary world.

On the first reading of Hamlet, I kind of admired it more than I liked it.

Yet on the second and third readings I've loved it more. Now it's my favorite play next to King Lear.

Blog Entries
    They are my favorite plays too, since I have outgrown Romeo and Juliet. I used to love Henry V too, with its war and woing scenes, but one has to consider that the political aspects are seen from a very English perspective. I wonder what the English think about this play.

Blog Entries
    I didn't like Heart of Darkness at first and put it down for a few years. When I picked it up again I loved it.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    I didn´t like the first story by Conrad I read, Victory, so much! But then I got caught,specially by his sea stories. And I think Heart of Darkness has a special meaning for us of the New World.

It certainly caused a stir in the way children were viewed. It backed up the views of Steven Pinker which came much later in ' The Blank Slate ' although many had suspected the innocence of childhood was an illusion. These days we have the new movement which frowns apon a finger raised against a child.
    Books that question the accepted views of human nature whether fiction or not are always worth reading.

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about Lord of th Flies? Anyway childhood innocence got a deadly stab with Freud´s theory on children sexuality 19C/20C.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Are you talking about Lord of th Flies? Anyway childhood innocence got a deadly stab with Freud´s theory on children sexuality 19C/20C.
    Yes a great book and easy to read and it makes a good point. Indeed children are no more innocent than we are but they are in our care they don't know the world and may not be self- aware. They can manipulate without guilt we know better. As Freud said: ' we are at war with ourselves '.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    ... I used to love Henry V too, with its war and woing scenes, but one has to consider that the political aspects are seen from a very English perspective. I wonder what the English think about this play.
    We love it! Especially the war scenes. Olivier's 1944 film version was designed as a morale booster for Britain during WWII; it succeeded in this, as well as being a great work of art. I wonder what the French think about it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast