Thread: What's the best book of Bukowski?

What's the best book of Bukowski?

I want to read a book by Bukowski, but never heard of his works. So I need some suggestion and wanna get the best book of him.
    I know best is not same for everybody but I think I'll buy the one many of you suggested.

I want to read Bukowski because his detections and determinations are great!
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    If you haven't read anything by him, I would recommend going to the library and trying some of his poetry. I don't know what "detections and determinations" are. I brought about ten volumes of his poetry with me on a vacation to the Smoky Mountains one year and enjoyed all of them. They were very easy to read. They read like flash fiction that anyone could understand. He has a humorous confessional style talking about his often dysfunctional relationships.

Here's a link to one of his poems to make sure we have the same guy: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...s/detail/49569

Which volume to pick up? Of the ten I read, I couldn't see much difference in them. They were all good (or bad) depending on your mood. Go to the libraries available to you first and read some of them.

That was a nice one. But I think I'm really not into poems.
    I think I dont learn from a poem, but from a novel. Can you please tell me one?

I think I choose the wrong words with determination, I think I meant generalization.
    His some generalizations are exceptional!

Blog Entries
    I haven't read any of his novels, but the poems read to me like flash fiction. What generalization are you referring to?

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Factotum is my favourite novel albeit is novels are thinly veiled autobiographies. His novels paled to his poetry, though.

Actually I really do not remember what wise sayings he has right now, but I remember I found him totally right about his sayings.

Blog Entries
    If an author is saying things that currently sound truthful to you, that is a good reason to read that author. However, it is hard to find an author who hasn't said something truthful. I've enjoyed reading what little I've read of Bukowski. He reminds me of the graphic artist or cartoonist, R. Crumb, whom I also like. See Crumb's "Yum Yum Book".

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    If an author is saying things that currently sound truthful to you, that is a good reason to read that author. However, it is hard to find an author who hasn't said something truthful. I've enjoyed reading what little I've read of Bukowski. He reminds me of the graphic artist or cartoonist, R. Crumb, whom I also like. See Crumb's "Yum Yum Book".
    I think I must disagree about that. I think true is dependant on people. Also, some generalizations are better than the others for some reason. I think it's relative but his sayings interests me.

Blog Entries
    There is also a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", that tonywalt mentioned in another thread that you might find interesting.

I just read South of No North by Bukowski. It is decidedly misogynistic and has some disturbing themes regarding the casualisation of rape. That said he spins a good yarn and upon reading the book you feel as though you have read a piece of art.

Two thumbs up.