Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Bachelor of English language and literature?

Bachelor of English language and literature?

I'm not from an English speaking coutnry and I'm wondering what the proper term is for someone who has a BA in English. I've seen titles like "Bachelor of Science in Mathematics" but when I google "Bachelor of English" it doesn't return that many results, which makes me wonder whether that same form is used for English.

I should say, I'm asking for Europe, so it's Bologna style titles.
    Last edited by Alfred001; 03-10-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred001 View Post
    I'm not from an English speaking coutnry and I'm wondering what the proper term is for someone who has a BA in English. I've seen titles like "Bachelor of Science in Mathematics" but when I google "Bachelor of English" it doesn't return that many results, which makes me wonder whether that same form is used for English.

I should say, I'm asking for Europe, so it's Bologna style titles.
    Usually degrees in the humanities are styled as Bachelor's of Arts, though the names vary between the UK and America.

My undergrad degree is a Bachelor's of Arts honours in English literature with a minor in political science. I don't believe the UK uses the major/minor system.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 03-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Just as you would say Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, you would say Bachelor of Languages in English. As Orphan Pip pointed out, it all depends on the organisation of the subjects in the particular university or college.

Just as you would say Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, you would say Bachelor of Languages in English. As Orphan Pip pointed out, it all depends on the organisation of the subjects in the particular university or college.
    When I google "Bachelor of Languages in English" it gets two results, one being you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred001 View Post
    When I google "Bachelor of Languages in English" it gets two results, one being you.
    I'm sure if you google Bachelor of Arts in English Literature you should get many hits. But more specifically if you go to almost any UK, CA, USA, Aus, NZ university website and check their humanities/liberal arts programs you should find an English lit department since it is one of the most ubiquitous programs in Liberal Arts Colleges.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Just as a matter of interest, at Edinburgh the first degree is called a Master of Arts.

As far as I am aware at my long established university the first degree is simply called Bachelor of Arts, whatever the subject.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1