Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Star Trek redux, or Are We There Yet?

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Star Trek redux, or Are We There Yet?

We've heard on the tv as well as the Internet machine that astronomers have recently found a star of modest size around which seven "Goldilocks" planets are orbiting. Because these new (to us) worlds evidently have the qualities which may support life, their discovery has inspired a solar storm of excitement among those who dream of human space exploration and/or colonization.

The only problem with these sites for future fast food joints and theme parks is that they are 40 light years away, a distance of 235 trillion (with a "t") miles away. So if you plan to go, make sure you visit the restroom first.

But seriously, my fellow Nitletters, I have a question for you: which prospect frightens you more: that we are utterly alone in the universe OR that we're not?

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I agree wth you, Aunt, 40 light years away is very far, but the universe is immense. I think it is too soon to say we are definitely alone in the universe, but even if we are not alone intelligent life we can communicate with is likely to be so far away that for all intents and purposes we are alone... for now.

Blog Entries
    It's quite far but if we travel at near the speed of light the amount of time it takes for the people travelling shrinks because of dilation, the closer you get to the speed of light the more time for you approaches zero. So if we can develop near light-speed travel these planets would actually be a realistic distance for the people onboard.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I shouldn't wonder if they developed near light-speed travel. This traveling though PCs and other devices which has become part of our daily routine, was unthincable not so many years ago.
    About being frightened: it depends so much on who is on the other side of the extension.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I would be surprised if we were utterly alone in the universe, but I don't know how we would tell that is the case until we checked everywhere in our galaxy and then all the other galaxies out there.

As far as traveling outside the Earth's magnetosphere, that is for robots to do.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been fairly sure we're not alone for a long time. The maths alone is a convincing argument for life elsewhere in the Universe. I once went to a fascinting lecture on computational cosmology that did some serious number-crunching based on the size of the universe and probability thresholds. Even on a conservative reckoning, the number of planets in the universe likely to host developed (even civilized) life ran to the billions.

Perhaps the Trappist planets will be among them?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

If I was relying solely on movies for the justification of my answer I would say life on other planets scares the heck out of me. Any day now Aliens will be coming for our carbon!!! If I based my answer on intellect and reasoning I'd say life scares the heck out of me!!!! Any day now aliens will be coming for our carbon. Except if they were Vulcans.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've always understood that "life on other planets" should not be assumed to be intelligent, its more likely to be single-cell life. But more usually the so-called Goldylocks zone of planets are in the zone of their star that could (theoretically) be potentially habitable.

As Fermi said 'Where are they all?' Professor Brian Cox thinks its unlikely there is intelligent life in our galaxy.

I don't know how we would tell that is the case until we checked everywhere in our galaxy and then all the other galaxies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mando87 View Post
    I don't know how we would tell that is the case until we checked everywhere in our galaxy and then all the other galaxies out there.
    Well we have the Drake equation and the biological evidence that evolution has led to intelligence through a series of low probability occurrances. Biogenesis itself can only be explained in terms of chance as explained in great detail by Richard Dawkins in ' The Blind Watchmaker'.