Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: About animals

Blog Entries
    I use the word "chicken" to primarily refer to a hen, or female chicken, although chickens in a general sense could include the males or "roosters". Chicken also refers to the food. A "chick" is what comes out of the egg until it gets too big to look cute. One thing I was told to be wary of with chicks is not to hug them to your cheek or give them a kiss because they do peck and could cause damage, but I was never tempted to cuddle with them.

Since I took care of chickens on our family farm (both hens and some roosters), cleaning the house, adding bedding, picking up eggs, they were never viewed as pets, but I can see how they might be. The handful of chickens I obtained later that the bad dog got his jaws into I picked up on my own. I was told by a neighbor that the hen ate those chicks because she needed calcium. I got them some minerals to supplement their food, just in case, but I don't know if that guy knew what he was talking about.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Yes/No. So chicken is a synonym for hen, not the baby. And that advice about how not to cuddle chicks makes sense. Even with cats, I read somewhere, you have to hold them in a way they canīt claw you, specially if the cat doesnīt know you.
    You are a regular farmer then. I thought you werenīt because you seem to have a very romantic view of poultry(I donīt like this word very much).
    As for calcium, isnīt it mostly in the shell of the eggs?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I know some people who hold a cat like they are holding a baby rocking it on its back. I usually hold it so the legs are below me. I think it gives the cat more security. If a cat is trying to claw me, I usually set it down unless I have to carry it somewhere.

I've worked and lived in rural surroundings for twenty years or so, but I am pretty ignorant of much of what goes on with farming.

Poultry is a more professional way of referring to chickens. The calcium would be part of the egg shell. I don't know why that hen pecked her young, but people use incubators for chick eggs which avoids the risk of damage to the eggs. I haven't used them myself. For those hens that I had I could almost read their minds, but I didn't hypnotize them.

Anyway, here are some pictures of cats I ran into today while looking for something else. I think this blog only contains cat photography but I haven't looked at it for very long: https://meowingpics.wordpress.com/20...istmas-cats-3/

Blog Entries
    Cute pics!
    I sometimes held my cats in rocking position, but they were cats that knew me very well and so they made velvet paws.
    Putting a cat down when it tries to claw is quite a good idea.

I sometimes thought I could read the minds of my cats but with hens that must be much more difficult I think for there are less signs.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Sphynx cat

Talking of cats...The Sphynx cat is not a favorite with those that fall in love with a cats furryness but they are coveted by cat lovers that are alergic to cat fur. Without the natural protection of fur they are very vulnerable to the cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphynx_cat

Blog Entries
    Looking at those pictures of a sphynx cat, one could more easily see their facial expressions without the fur and then imagine what they are feeling. With chickens, I look at their eyes and imagine what they must be thinking. It isn't as much to go on as one has with a cat.

Blog Entries
    My both tabby cats were very expressive. The problem sometimes is how much they really expressed and how much one imagines that they express.
    One thinks one knows all about humans and animals one has lived a long time with until they surprise one.
    Chickens are a mystery to me.

Blog Entries
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Interesting species, Tailor. I donīt think it exists here but that is good, because many people are superstitious about black hens and black cats.

These chickens one finds here and they are noted for their beautiful design:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmeted_guineafowl

Blog Entries
    It is the first time I heard of the all black Ayam Cemani. The guineafowl I've seen before. Although they look like chickens, I tend to think of them as not a chicken, but a guineafowl. However, I might be in the minority.

As with all empathy even between humans it might be mistaken.

My wife told me the other day that our cat "has me trained" when I told her the cat got me to turn on a faucet so the cat could drink from it. The cat has plenty of water. She just wanted to see if she could get me to do a trick for her. I might be imagining all that, but I like the idea of the reciprocal relationship of two species getting each other to do tricks.

Blog Entries
    We have black hens here but I donīt know it they are Ayam Cemani. I have mostly lived in urban environments and I am learning about chicken with you and stately. When my mother came to Brazil she had chickens. I suppose it didnīt work so well for later she opened a nursery for children.
    I remember seeing guinea fowls in a smaller more rural town, where I lived some years and where the chicken used to be around. I thought the guinea fowl very beautiful.
    Lol!Ithink your wife is right. What I obseved with my cat is that they love atention. When my last cat was still youg it went to the wardrobe and caught a certain cord girdle. He wanted me to go around with the girdle trailing on the ground so that he could chase it.

Blog Entries
    The one thing about the cat I have and the one that trained you with the cord girdle is that we know they are training us and we don't mind. We play along with them and they play along with us when we try to train them (at least the chickens seem to).

My bad dog trained me without my knowing it. He knew he wanted to get those chickens but he couldn't get off his chain. However, I would take him for walks down into the forest area behind the cabin. I think I would take him on walks for up to half a mile. When we were far from the cabin, I would unleash his chain and he would play around. Then he would come back like a good dog and let me chain him again. He won my trust. We did this many times. The day he decided to get those chickens we went down the woods trail. He wanted to go even further so I did. He waited for me to unleash him, like a good dog. As soon as he was unleashed he started racing back toward those chickens. I called out, "Fred!" The dog paused briefly, turned his head but not his body and gave me a wicked look. After his chicken problem was taken care of he never barked hoping I would take him for a walk anywhere.

Blog Entries
    I think thatīs were we differ, Yes/No. According to your account, the dog had it all planed coldly, just waiting for the right opportunity to get the chicken. A human might do it like this and not any human, but I am not at all sure of the dog. Why do dogs attack of a sudden people, sometimes even loved family members they wouldnīt have attacked before? I canīt tell you.

One thing I was told a long time ago is that dogs may get more aggressive when on a chain. And it seems this dog was sistematically henpecked. When I was a child I got a puppie. I usually get along well with animals but Jambo was very wild and I think I got afraid of him. He ruined the garden and eventually my parents found other owners for him.

What happened to Fred?

Blog Entries
    Fred wasn't really my dog. I was just taking care of him for a few months till the owner returned although the dog was very young when I first got him. I gave him back to the owner.

The mystery about the dog and that chicken has two areas where many would agree with you and disagree with me. I admit I would be in the minority on these two issues:

1) How far in advance did Fred plan to trick me? I think it was weeks in advance.

2) Did the chicken commit suicide? I would say, Yes.

Blog Entries
    I am glad Fred went back to his owner because after what happened I donīt know how you would get along .

Of course I am not in a condition to answer these questions, but what they have in common is that they are based on the assumption that both animals acted as certain humans would have acted in that situation. The idea of a chicken comiting suicide because she has lost her companions doesnīt seem totally impossible to me but it is very strange. And I wouldnīt find it strange that the dog tricked you in the spur of the moment, but planing weeks in advance... I donīt know.

Unfortunately I didnīt find anything more scientific but this link might interest you.

https://www.quora.com/Do-animals-hav...the-harm#!n=60
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-03-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast