Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: About animals

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe from lack of information, Yes/No.
    The animals themselves try to teach humans how to handle them (cats seem to be born with a manual of Human Pedagogy) but today you can also get a lot of information in the net.
    That probably wasnīt the case when your story happened.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I was thinking of you, when I posted this link as the only Litnetter, near enough to apply for one of these cats.
    Sorry you were too late but it is important to know that the video is old and not a current one as I thought.
    I wish you more luck this time, but if you canīt get one of these cats Iīm sure you will find another responsible cat donating instituition.
    It is a live stream and I have been watching since it started. There were so many people who wanted to get them. Here on the ice there is really only one animal shelter and that is only for cats, they are one part of the team doing this. We don't have an issue with stray animals other than cats. No stray dogs here.

The new cats arrived today and as I am writing all five of them are sleeping in the same bunk bed
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I just opened the link, and there is a message that the three cats were adopted and a new family is moving in. It seems the link remains a bit outdated, but it doesnīt matter so much as you seem to be the only Litnetter who is able to candidate for one of the cats.
    They actualised the link, so one canwatch the new group.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 02-28-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Here's a link about a cat that nursed ducklings which is not something I expected to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqTHhdCQko

Also, Danik, your link to information about chickens led me to William Grimes "My Fine Feathered Friend". Apparently a black hen appeared in Queens (New York) and it is an account of one man taking care of it until it vanished. I took the Bekoff and Pierce book back to the library to finish later.

Blog Entries
    An absolute amazing story as the ducklings are not mamals and cats are used to predate not to nurse feather animals. It is a sight to see these ducklings feeding on the cat, and the cat handling them very carefully. I think the real kittens were less happy about that unexpected kinship. But all is well that ends well!

There is so much about the animal world that we donīt know und donīt understand. You probably did well to take back a book that didnīt answer your questions. That episode of the chickens and the dog still seems to distress you.Whatever actually happened it seems to have been very long ago and you are probably the only one still affected by this memory. Maybe it would be time to find ways to get over it.

Blog Entries
    Insect in Danik 2016's neck of the woods that I'd never heard of... http://www.strangeanimals.info/2014/...globulare.html
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 02-28-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: syntax
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Interesting specimen, Tailor, never saw it though. Probably lives somewhere where the fauna is more varied than here
    Here is another member of the family the "Little widow".
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/simns/772184967

A new expression: "neck of the wood"
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-01-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those two insects are odder than I expected insects to be. We don't have to go to other planets to find bizarre forms of life.

I finished Grimes' "My Fine Feathered Friend". He mentioned some things one can do with chickens besides eating them.

1) You can hypnotize them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMOR31ktPE (You can also hypnotize a dog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmfVPPzFSw)

2) You can teach them to play the piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPBfMGLf9Q

3) They can beat you in tic-tac-toe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbxdXgCTJGo

Blog Entries
    1) Why should one want to hypnotize an animal?

2 and 3) It seems they can be conditioned to a certain degree. I donīt know the game but the chicken knows what is expected of him.
    I donīt like this conditioning of animals just to show them off in public and make money out off them. Put in a similar situation,
    Gulliver used to think very poorly of the people of Brobdignag.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea why one would want to hypnotize them. What surprises me is that one could train them at all.

Blog Entries
    This article gives a general idea I think on how the chicken conditioning works. I hope the PDF can be integrally acessed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1338159/

From other headings in Google I learned that preparing chickens for show exibition is not something unusual.

Blog Entries
    They used newly hatched chicks for the training. That may give them more reliable results. Showing chickens is common, but I didn't realize before this that people got them to do tricks. I'm reading Lauren Scheuer's "Once Upon a Flock: Life with my Soulful Chickens". Grimes also mentioned that the chicken would sneak up behind their cats and make a noise to scare them. Also the cats and the chickens ate food together.

Blog Entries
    In the videos it looks natural enough. But in fact it might be a chicken harrasing conditioning based on a reward/punishment methods. I suppose the chicken recognise positions of objects/lights. I donīt think they are able to recognise written numbers. But if they are trained by a good player, who will teach them the several positions they have to choose, it will look for the public as if they were choosing according to the number. Same thing with the piano. The teacher must know how to play the tune. The birds probably memorise the position of the keys not the tune.

https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/chicken_training/
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    I can see that the training has to involve food and the animal being comfortable to be around the trainer as in the link you mentioned. Apparently they learn fast what they have to do to get the food. That means the human is not discouraged.

Reading Scheuer's book, chickens have different personalities. I didn't notice that in the ones I had probably because I didn't have the personality to pay attention to such things when I had those birds. Also it helps having different breeds of chicken so one can visually separate them. Mine were all white. I couldn't tell them apart. Scheuer got a mixture of different breeds. I got mine from a neighbor after helping him clean out his chicken barn. They were hens that the people missed when they loaded these birds off to market.

Blog Entries
    Yes I suppose chickens have different personalities but I never had chickens. I was more used to cats and cats do have different personalities. Something that is a bit confusing for me: chicken for me are either the yellow little ones or the food. The adults are either hens or their male companions whose name always gets censored by LitNet. I was somewhat confused when you wrote that your chicken ate their chicks until I realised that you were talking about a hen.
    It seems that white hens are more viewed as pets, as people miss them when they bring them to the market.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast