Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: About animals

Blog Entries
    Beautiful creature...
    Naja on the web
    The pictures of the snake were released on Friday (10) by the Brasília Zoo and, in a few hours, fell in favor of the internet users. In a post on social media, a user calls the records a "boring essay". Until the last update of this report, the post on Twitter had 44.9 thousand likes and 10.9 thousand shares.
    Tragic that students are lured into illegalities... and the fines (R $ 2000.00) nowhere near what they should be... traffickers can recoup their losses several fold by selling one exotic snake:
    The police estimate that the animal is worth up to R $ 20,000 in illegal trade.
    (sigh)

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for looking it up on Twitter, tailor! I only didnīt understand the "boring essay" part as they were news. Must be one of those social media metamorphosis.

Just one update: the student was released from hospital two days before it was intended (family maybe afraid of the mediatic dimension of the case) and every one concerned was heavily fined. The snakes, about ten of the seventeen were imported, were all donated to adequate institutions.

I think that in this particular case the traffic of wild animals was successfully interrupted, at least for the time being.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    And in the Siberian Zoo of Novosibisk:
    https://twitter.com/siberian_times/s...73663467986944

Mom is at a bit of a loss how to deal with it: "Donīt know, were all this people came from. It has suddenly become crowded in here."

(Video comes after the pics): https://f5.folha.uol.com.br/bichos/2...ino-raro.shtml
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Beautiful cat... tried google translate on the 2nd page with no joy. Stunning blue eyes.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Sorry, tailor. Didnīt mean to put you or any one on trouble. The Brazilian text is not important, but I wanted to post the cat video, posted together with the pictures, which wasnīt available anywhere else. Probably fished out of the FB of "The Siberian Press".

Blog Entries
    Sorry, tailor. Didnīt mean to put you or any one on trouble. The Brazilian text is not important, but I wanted to post the cat video, posted together with the pictures, which wasnīt available anywhere else. Probably fished out of the FB of "The Siberian Times".

Blog Entries
    What looks like a locust version of the film "Birds" by Hitchcock is really happening in the north of Argentina. The neighbor countries, including Brazil are afraid that the insects may take over and destroy all the plantations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCbqAXreRk

Blog Entries
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair." - C.D.

Didn't know, but should have realized, that locust swarms aren't limited to the U.S.A. and Africa. One would think that someone over the last 100 years would have thought of a way to stop swarms like this.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Loved the citation!

Blog Entries
    One last update on the "Naja of Brasilia". The beautiful snake, now a web celebrity, has been transferred together with six other sisters to the Zoo of São Paulo.

Blog Entries
    Good news on the snake !

More new re: A study in China about locusts...
    CHEMICAL WARFARE —
    Researchers find a chemical that makes locusts swarm
    Future swarms could face decoy pheromones, genetic manipulation, blocking chemicals.
    JOHN TIMMER - 8/12/2020, 2:39 PM ... https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...locusts-swarm/
    tailor
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 08-14-2020 at 01:37 AM. Reason: /
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link, tailor. I havenīt heard anything any more about the Argentinian locusts. I hope they were dispelled somehow.

A cute picture just as a refreshment after so many bad news:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/25/u...rnd/index.html

Blog Entries
    (lol) Big bear just chillin'... love it. We have a local that posts on facebook from their critter cams that comes up with some interesting nocturnal visits... will post some when they come up.

Oh, and Miss Helen is back... https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ium-180969872/

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    What a story! He stole the shark to keep it alive!

Blog Entries