Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: About animals

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Now I realize where "nitpicking" came from."
    Lol. I had to look it up.

DW, I didnīt know there were three different types of lice that lived on humans. The body louse must be almost invisible.

As for the Silkworms, we have some silk culture here too, I believe in Paraná, one of the states of the south. Of course it is much more modest than in China. And it suffers a stong concurrence from the cheaper artificial silk.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Also interesting is the pink boto or Dolphin. It lives in the waters of the Amazon but it isnīt always pink. IThis water charmer is surrounded by the legends of the river folks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_river_dolphin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCJgvabihQ8
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I think he did. The man tried to destroy his wife, but at the end it was he that died.
    Thank you for the subtle correction of the misspellings of Maughamīs name. Sometimes the connection between head and hand gets mischievous,
    I checked at the library. At the end of chapter 66, Waddington informed Kitty, "It's the last line of Goldsmith's Elegy."

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Yes/No.I didnīt remember that any more. Anyway, when I read the book, one didnīt have internet yet to check on things. I probably didnīt look for the Elegy or if I did, I didnīt understand the meaning at that time. I also donīt remember any more who Waddington is but I donīt think that it matters.

Blog Entries
    I was mainly confirming for myself that this was in the novel. I saw the movie last night. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/painted_veil/ Based on the plot in Wikipedia, the movie seemed to follow the book, but it didn't reference Goldsmith.

Blog Entries
    I like the psychological part of the story, the positive development of Kitty. I donīt think I saw any of the films. I hope you enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    I liked the movie. I might read the book since I like to see how Maugham redeems characters that look hopeless. I also liked those pink dolphins. I didn't know vertibra could be "floating" in an animal.

Here is something I wrote for another site about a dog in response to a poetry challenge. The required form was a haibun: a short piece of prose in the first person followed by a nature haiku. It is more or less a true story. Its main point is to retell an ancient story of a man and his dog being disappointed at the gates of heaven.

Walking in Circles

From the distance of a lifetime, a spiral describes it better, but the smaller ones seem circular to me like when walking from one side of the room to the other, turning around and then walking back. Or, walking to the library, standing tall with shoulders back so the air can more easily enter my lungs and my eyes can look right at it, trying to realize, even when I can’t, that everywhere I am still able to go and everything greeting me on the way from sidewalks and apartments to trees and clouds are a gift from or a hint of heaven.

I think in circles as I walk in them. Sometimes I pop those thoughts and sometimes I enjoy them again and again like that ancient story of a man and his dog that keeps coming to mind. Perhaps they died much like my ex-brother-in-law who was found burnt in an apartment fire. His dog stayed with him on his lap. It is them I see walk to the gates of heaven and find that sign, “No Dogs Allowed”. The gatekeeper confirms that there is no problem with him going in, in spite of everything, but not his dog. Since heaven wouldn’t be heaven if one were alone, I see him turn around. He takes his dog and they walk toward a scenic, spiraling path that appears before them and everywhere they go is heaven.

GEESE AND DUCKS RETURN
    PEOPLE WALK THE PARK IN TWOS
    FLOWERS COMING SOON
    Last edited by YesNo; 02-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you liked the film maybe youīll like the book even better.

I liked this poetic story very much,though the story of the ex burnt brother in law may be the real part of it.
    We all walk in circles and think in circles but there is liberty in refusing heaven for a better heaven.
    Though I think animals are not only allowed in heaven, they are a part of it.
    One of my schoolteachers said once: if God didnīt have a sense of humour he wouldnīt have invented the frog.

Blog Entries
    Pangolin... http://www.awf.org/wildlife-conservation/pangolin : The only animal that starts life as a vegetable (artichoke).
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Lol. Another proof of the existence of dinosaurs!
    And the next time I see an artichoke, they are a luxury here, Iīllpay atention, if there isnīt a small, wistful head peering out of the flower.

Blog Entries
    The pangolin curled up does look like a vegetable.

I am reading Marc Bekoff and Jessica Pierce's "Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animal". Their claim is that animals, at least social mammals for whom it is easier to detect signs of moral, "other-regarding" behaviors such as cooperation, fairness and empathy, have a moral life that is different but still comparable to our own. From personal experience, even chickens seem to have a moral life, but they are making a good start in viewing animals as centers of subjectivity rather than as some Descartian machine.

Blog Entries
    Aplied to animals, "moral" sounds very strange to me because it seems to imply that animals
    have a kind of ethical judgment or evaluation of actions. I donīt think they do. Several species have shown themselves capable of cooperation, affection, fairness, emphaty and loyalness, but I donīt think this is the result of a moral positions. I think it is spontaneous. Theyīve an amoral innocence.
    When I was still a child their appeared a stray cat,which gave birth to three or four kitten in the small room in our backyard. I observed that the bigger kittens drank themselves fat, but the smallest didnīt get any mother milk. So I took it and put it to her tit, so that it might get his share. The next day I found that she had bitten its had of. I was very shocked. I think I never went near that childmurdering monster any more and my faith in the whole animal world was shaken.
    Probably the cat simply didnīt believe that the kitten would survive, so she invested in the other ones.

Blog Entries
    http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...t-raccoon-dogs ...

(Surprised me.)

Morality in animals is mostly anthropomorphism IMHO, though many animals have a gentle nature after domestication... some not so much. Sociality among familial/social lines might be a better term. I am tempted to find a copy of "Beastly Morality: Animals as Ethical Agents"/Jonathan K. Crane https://books.google.com/books?id=Tw...anzees&f=false and https://cup.columbia.edu/book/beastl.../9780231174176

Rather than claim animal morality is the same as human morality, this book builds an appreciation of the variety and character of animal sensitivities and perceptions across multiple disciplines, moving animal welfarism in promising new directions.
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Beautiful dogs! Very interesting information specially the one about the faux fur!

I agree with the thesis of anthropomorphism, but I think some animals are born gentle, others less so. When they are domesticated they learn to behave as their humans want.

The book is a recent publication. It seems that in US their are no few studies about animal morality.That astonishes me. Iīm going to have a look if there are any studies here.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 02-25-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Part of the Carnival Parade of "Aguia de Ouro"(The Golden Eagle). The theme of the parade is the defense of animals and this part does homage to the relationship between the homeless and their dogs. Last winter many homeless refused to go to the shelters because they couldnīt take their dogs with them. So the city administration opened a shelter that accepted the dogs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b69OHnYk8Q

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast