Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: About animals

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I wasnīt sure if they were doves though. They have another name. The urban doves we find around here are more hungry than peaceful. They are much abused but they bring life into this gray city.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    They could be pigeons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbidae

I thought the Columbina was "dove", but I am just guessing.

Blog Entries
    I looked up the diferences between the "pombas" (the doves) and the "rolinhas", they all belong to the waster family of the Columbidae.The page only opens in Portuguese, but maybe you get it in English because of your location:
    http://en.wikiaves.com//doku.php?&&&...bas_e_rolinhas
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    I didn't realize doves and pigeons are very similar birds until you mentioned them. Doves make me think of "peace" and pigeons, well, I have heard them described as "flying rats". I haven't heard the name "rolinhas" before, but Google was able to translate the page clearly enough.

Blog Entries
    Me neither. I still canīt tell the pigeons from the doves. The "rolinhas" seem to be smaller and I donīt know if they live in cities.
    My dentist called the doves "flying rats" on account of the illnesses they transmit. The doves donīt care what they are called. As long as there is enough food and they can flock together, they seem to enjoy their life. And São Paulo would be so much grayer and stonier without them.

Blog Entries
    Doves (or pigeons) seem to fit cities like seagulls fit beaches. It would be less pleasant without them.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-10-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those koalas are cute whether they are bears or not.

Blog Entries
    I agreewith your both last posts Yes/No. Am in fact looking for a new theme.
    Interesting article.
    Dogs donīt have a bad memory, if one remembers that the police uses them to find hidden drugs.

http://www.livescience.com/58602-do-...-memories.html

Blog Entries
    It doesn't surprise me that animals have memories because the brain would be a way for animals to access memories. I wonder where the content of that memory lies. I don't think it's in the brain. Plants also have memory. Here's an example: http://www.sci-news.com/biology/scie...ory-01695.html I heard about this from Stefano Mancuso and Alessandra Viola's "Brilliant Green".

Blog Entries
    Amazing, Yes/No! I tried to remember if I know that "prude" Mimosa. Am going to research on it later.
    I found this article on catīs brains. There are more, but the connection at present is not so good:
    http://www.petful.com/behaviors/cat-...d-human-brain/
    And here is one on dogīs brains:
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...much-humans-do
    And on both:
    https://braindecoder.com/post/how-do...urs-1141211520
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-11-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    The whiskers on cats and the simulation of a cat's brain sound interesting. That dogs and cats understand what we say to them makes sense. Plants may also understand us as well.

Blog Entries
    Catīs and dogīs seem to understand what one says to them, and also when one talks about them. I just looked the "Mimosa pudica". I found a detailed account of the experiment in Portuguese and also the original article but one has to pay to read it.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the current research is worth reading unless one wants to continue that research. According to Mancuso and Viola ("Brilliant Green", page 68) this knowledge about mimosa pudica was first discovered by Lamarck and his collaborator Augustin Pyramus de Candolle around the 1800's. Augustin put these plants on a cart at Lamarck's request and pulled them around the streets of Paris. Initially they contracted, but once they realized the bumpy ride did not threaten them, they relaxed and, as I would put it, enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    So, in fact there is nothing new about it. Plants it seems have there sense of security too.