Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: About animals

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

About animals

As we have only few threads on animals an most of them arenīt active any more Iīm opening a general thread on animals real and or fictional of all kinds (mamals, birds, insects, etc.), their enviroments and al matters related to them, plus curiosities, stories, poems and pictures about them.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    The most curious animal I know is the duck-billed platypus. But the mata-mata gets an easy second place. I only heard about it some days ago in one 1 minute insert about nature, a kind of nano national geographic programm.
    It is a member of the turtle family. In fact this South American species looks like a crossing between a turtle and a dinossaur, whose had has been run over by a truck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_mata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TTEXbALyys
    (Sorry, the "s" of the title got lost somewhere but the narrator is native in English)
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 02-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Cool.

what am I ?

22 fleshy rays
    sensory overlord
    star child taupe fiend
    nocturnal omnivore

7/10/2015 tS

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SAWeaNiMXGjWLw

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/pic...a-star-is-born
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    I didn't know such creatures as the star-nosed mole and the mata mata existed.

Blog Entries
    I didnīt know either about mata-mata some days ago and I am absolutely amazed at this "sensory overlord". I hope they learn to use it to prevent earthquakes without harassing it.
    And:
    "Star Wars 22-far beyond your imagination!"
    Coming soon!

Blog Entries
    Real story I witnessed
    In 1960s, we were living in a rural area; a village was composed of muddy houses not more than thirty. One day evening, as any evening of that ancient time when there is no modern services or supplies such as; electric lights, television and even radio but to those who were extensive in richness. All people would go out their houses as soon as hearing the attack sound. No one knew what the matter is, but to see all our animals like dogs, cattle, hens have been frightened. It would jump over the muddy walls just to cutting by teeth any animal met in its way. Everyday we have losses on our animals yet we do not know what the reason is. Still thinking into the occasion until one night we heard shouts distantly come from the right side beyond the river. Always farmers there would irrigate their farms especially at summer's nights. We heard a human voice asking help but he was far away to reach.
    On the next day, we knew that man, who asked the help, has been attacked by a wolf "a rabid wolf, then the man has been carried to the hospital of the city and there died due to the biting of a rabid wolf. From that time, our animals were saved and no such noises we heard at night.
    Eventually we considered the story that the rapid wolf is the attacker and the losses of our cattle and hens are due to it.
    My country is the Home of Honour And
    Without honour I haven't Home
    MMA

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I agree with Danik in broadening the subject of animals to include insects. They play a vital part in our world. Originally I thought of bees, and the way they produce honey. But also insects like the silk worm, and various disease transmitting insects. I look forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Blog Entries
    Did someone kill the rabid wolf, Mohammad?

Here's one of my favorite poems about dog bites by Oliver Goldsmith: http://graduate.engl.virginia.edu/en...ldsmithD2.html There is some commentary at the end of this link that I don't quite follow and so ignored.
    Last edited by YesNo; 02-22-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Did someone kill the rabid wolf, Mohammad?

Here's one of my favorite poems about dog bites by Oliver Goldsmith: http://graduate.engl.virginia.edu/en...ldsmithD2.html There is some commentary at the end of this link that I don't quite follow and so ignored.
    Yes, that rabid wolf has been killed by the attacked man himself, as he felt nothing to do, he put one of his hands inside a wolf mouth, but after a moment he remembered that he had a dagger belted into his middle so he soon pulled out the dagger and stabbing the wolf. It is familiar to all that each rabid animal even the human if bites others the disease will soon transmit ( move down) to whom \ which was bitten. It is a real story not a fabricated story.
    My country is the Home of Honour And
    Without honour I haven't Home
    MMA

Blog Entries
    Mohammad: A sad story. Here in Brazil, they exterminated rabies by yearly vacinating for free dogs and cats in the cities. But I donīt know if the vacination programm is still working as well as before.

DW-Thanks. Contribuitions will be very welcome.

Yes/No-Your poem solved a mystery. Years ago I read a story you probably know (I think there is a film too), The Painted Veil, by Somerset Maugham - The story is set in China. The protagonist comits adultery and to punish her, her husband, who is a doctor forces her to move with him into an area where there is a cholera epidemy. But the woman learns to love the work she does, helping the people. Her husband dies saying to her: "It was the dog that died." I think she didnīt understand what he was saying and I didnīt either until I read the poem.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 02-22-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    I suspect the wolf would have died eventually anyway and apparently he did have rabies if the man died.

I have't read or seen The Painted Veil, but the movie is at the library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Painted_Veil_(novel) Maugham could have been referring to that poem. It is rather famous.

Blog Entries
    I think he did. The man tried to destroy his wife, but at the end it was he that died.
    Thank you for the subtle correction of the misspellings of Maughamīs name. Sometimes the connection between head and hand gets mischievous,
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 02-23-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I agree with Danik in broadening the subject of animals to include insects. They play a vital part in our world. Originally I thought of bees, and the way they produce honey. But also insects like the silk worm, and various disease transmitting insects. I look forward to seeing how this thread develops.
    https://everythingsilkworms.com.au/silkworms/
    Silkworms are the larvae of the domesticated Silk-Moth. It is an economically important insect, being a primary producer of Silk. The Silkworm’s preferred diet consists of White Mulberry leaves.

Domesticated Silk-Moths are entirely dependent on humans for reproduction, as a result of hundreds of years of selective breeding. Wild Silk-Moths are different to their domestic cousins (having not been selectively bred), however, they are not commercially viable in the production of silk.

Sericulture – the practice of breeding Silkworms for the production of raw Silk – has been one of the world’s biggest trades for at least 5,000 years, originating in China, from where it spread to Korea and Japan, and later to India and the West.

See also the Silk Road: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 02-23-2017 at 04:30 AM.

Louse (Lice, plural) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louse are described as follows:

Louse (plural: lice) is the common name for members of the order Phthiraptera, which contains nearly 5,000 species of wingless insect. Lice are obligate parasites, living externally on warm-blooded hosts which include every species of bird and mammal, except for monotremes, pangolins, bats and cetaceans. Lice are vectors of diseases such as typhus.

Chewing lice live among the hairs or feathers of their host and feed on skin and debris, while sucking lice pierce the host's skin and feed on blood and other secretions. They usually spend their whole life on a single host, cementing their eggs, which are known as nits, to hairs or feathers. The eggs hatch into nymphs, which moult three times before becoming fully grown, a process that takes about four weeks.

Humans host three species of louse, the head louse, the body louse and the pubic louse. The body louse has the smallest genome of any known insect; it has been used as a model organism and has been the subject of much research.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    They usually spend their whole life on a single host, cementing their eggs, which are known as nits, to hairs or feathers.
    Now I realize where "nitpicking" came from.

Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast