Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: About animals

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for reviving this forgotten thread, Tailor . I read about some amazing facts, fishes with placenta,flying squirrels and gigantic birds.

It's a miracle': hundreds of thousands of bees survive Notre Dame fire"

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/19/e...cli/index.html

It´s old news but I wanted to post it here.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Very fortunate for the bees... I see so few anymore and I am even leaving dandelions uncut where I can so they might have food in this hot weather (high summer here)... we leave the majority of our acreage wild. Having a good crop of plums from maybe a dozen trees total just now, but the bees were sparse all the same. No, no pesticides are ever used...
    https://grownatives.cnps.org/2010/03...dly-gardening/

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Banned
    Blog Entries
    True story about a sparrow.

So I was waiting for a city bus near a busy intersection about a week or so ago when I heard some squeaking cries from behind a bush near the stop. I went to check it out and it was a baby sparrow about 2/3 the size of a full grown adult. I caught her and went to the stop to show the other bus riders. I put the sparrow in another bush and got on my bus.

That same day around 10pm I returned to see if that bird was there and it was. Crying and crying and crying, I couldn't get the sparrow to shut up and it appeared too weak to fly. So I kept the sparrow and put her in a cage with feeding dishes but she wouldn't eat anything that first day.

Second day I finally got her to eat out of my hand. I had to actually shove bread down her throat and fill a bottle cap with water and almost shove that down her throat too. I could not get her to feed herself.

Day 3 and she finally quit crying all the time. I guess she was so starved that all she could do was cry. So then I tried to get her to fly and she could fly some but not enough to get high into a tree or fly more than twenty meters or so. Her tail feathers were missing so that had something to do with it, I'm sure.

Two more days of hand feeding the sparrow and trying to get her to fly and she was getting really friendly with me and not getting so scared each time I would pick her up. In fact, right there on the day I got her to fly sufficiently she wouldn't leave if I gave her the chance and started crawling all over me and more politely asking for food and water without the loud squealing.

Then I decided to try and find her flock and surprisingly they were across the intersection from where I found her, using a broken water spout as a bird bath. I took her out and walked towards their watering hole and the entire flock changed attitude from happy singing to angry chirping. As soon as they saw me carrying one of their babies they got loud with anger.

As I walked towards the watering hole the sparrow flock of about 25 birds or more flew up into the trees. She noticebly got slightly more perky as soon as she saw her flock and I walked across the parking lot and set her in the makeshift bird bath where she stood motionless. A few of them dive bombed me and got very close but didn't actually peck me.

When I finally got her to fly up into one of the trees with her flock they got silent and quit chirping angrily. I also noticed that she put more muscle into flying when she could see her flock. Must have been a morale booster. I chased her as high up into the tree as I could and left.

The next day (two days ago) I found her near where I let her go, getting fed by what was probably her mother bird, shoving twigs down her throat. I walked up to the sparrow baby to see if I could pick her up and she flew high up into the tree. I was satisfied that she could make it in the wild once again.

Ever since returning the sparrow baby to her flock I noticed birds at that intersection start chirpimg cheerily when they see me. And today, while boarding the same bus but a mile further along the same route I spotted part of the same flock of sparrows with the same baby bird, chirping and getting excited as I neared the trees they were in.

Interestingly, I learned from this experience that each bird has a unique voice just like people. When I heard that sparrow baby chirp today and I looked up to see her in the tree and saw that in fact it was the same baby bird with an adult companion (probably the same one I saw shoving twigs down her throat) I was quite surprised because I thought I would never see her again. I wonder, are they slowly following my bus routes to see where I go?

Many animals aren't empty drones and have their own personalities just like people.
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    Very fortunate for the bees... I see so few anymore and I am even leaving dandelions uncut where I can so they might have food in this hot weather (high summer here)... we leave the majority of our acreage wild. Having a good crop of plums from maybe a dozen trees total just now, but the bees were sparse all the same. No, no pesticides are ever used...
    https://grownatives.cnps.org/2010/03...dly-gardening/

tailor STATELY
    The bees are certainly thankfull. I think pesticides are bad for humans and animals even if there is goverment control.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret III View Post
    True story about a sparrow.

So I was waiting for a city bus near a busy intersection about a week or so ago when I heard some squeaking cries from behind a bush near the stop. I went to check it out and it was a baby sparrow about 2/3 the size of a full grown adult. I caught her and went to the stop to show the other bus riders. I put the sparrow in another bush and got on my bus.

That same day around 10pm I returned to see if that bird was there and it was. Crying and crying and crying, I couldn't get the sparrow to shut up and it appeared too weak to fly. So I kept the sparrow and put her in a cage with feeding dishes but she wouldn't eat anything that first day.

Second day I finally got her to eat out of my hand. I had to actually shove bread down her throat and fill a bottle cap with water and almost shove that down her throat too. I could not get her to feed herself.

Day 3 and she finally quit crying all the time. I guess she was so starved that all she could do was cry. So then I tried to get her to fly and she could fly some but not enough to get high into a tree or fly more than twenty meters or so. Her tail feathers were missing so that had something to do with it, I'm sure.

Two more days of hand feeding the sparrow and trying to get her to fly and she was getting really friendly with me and not getting so scared each time I would pick her up. In fact, right there on the day I got her to fly sufficiently she wouldn't leave if I gave her the chance and started crawling all over me and more politely asking for food and water without the loud squealing.

Then I decided to try and find her flock and surprisingly they were across the intersection from where I found her, using a broken water spout as a bird bath. I took her out and walked towards their watering hole and the entire flock changed attitude from happy singing to angry chirping. As soon as they saw me carrying one of their babies they got loud with anger.

She noticebly got slightly more perky as soon as she saw her flock and I walked across the parking lot and set her in the makeshift bird bath where she stood motionless. As I walked towards the watering hole the sparrow flock of about 25 birds or more flew up into the trees. a few of them dive bombed me and got very close but didn't actually peck me.
    Ah, my wife would say the two of you had deep karma, probably from previous lives. It's nice they accepted he bird back. Sometimes they don't.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Ah, my wife would say the two of you had deep karma, probably from previous lives. It's nice they accepted he bird back. Sometimes they don't.
    Yes, that was my first thought, that I would find the sparrow alone again because her flock would reject her but I guess this time she got lucky. Nursing a bird to full adult would've been a huge hassle for me.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful story Secret III.

tailor STATELY
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    "Rare animal known as the ‘magic rabbit’ spotted for the first time in 20 years"...

http://awwanimal.com/rare-animal-kno...Sera7kIFo_UGA4

tailor STATELY
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the interesting link, Tailor. I posted it in the german forum, bet they have never heard about the "magic rabbit".

Blog Entries
    An "angry-looking" tortoise has been rescued after it started a fire in a house.

The 45-year-old reptile was home alone when it knocked a heat lamp on to its bedding in a room at the house in Duton Hill, Great Dunmow, on Christmas Day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50915895

Blog Entries
    Lucky tortoise... looks like an albino.

More grumpies (the Sphinx looks downright evil): https://www.sadanduseless.com/they-love-xmas-not/

tailor
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 12-27-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: syntax/spelling
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    LOL! They must all be thinking: My Humans got nuts. Putting these darned red furs and caps on me!

Blog Entries
    The güiña:

https://www.livescience.com/guina-ti...PPryu340qJD5it

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Beautiful cat specimen. It looks like a small tame onça. The sound it makes is weird indeed.

Blog Entries
    The "Naja of Brasilia"

A curious case happened 4 days ago in our capital, Brasília, and I couldn´t find an English report on it.
    A seldom specimen of a very venomous snake bit a veterinary student, age 22, who had time to call his parents by phone, before entering hospital, where he had to be coma induced. Luckily one or two doses of the antidote to the snake´s venom could be found in the Instituto Butantã from São Paulo, at a three and half hours distance by plane from Brasilia and the student could be safed. But questions arose, as the culprit Naja, which isn´t from a national species, was found at 14 km distance of the house of the student, who seemed to have kept her as a pet. That specially as the Operation Snake, initiated by the police of Brasilia, found 17 more rare hidden snakes, which are not native in Brazil. The police suspects an illegal commerce with wild animals quadrille and the student will have to explain the whole occurrence to the police, as soon as he is well enough to do it.

Meanwhile the initiator of all this was brought to the Zoo of Brasilia and it rose to a Brazilian celebrity as "Naja de Brasília", with Instagram account and approximately 1, 600 followers. It also gained a foto sequence which documented its beauty.
    snake:
    https://g1.globo.com/df/distrito-fed...brasilia.ghtml