Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Super Bowl LI won by...

Super Bowl LI won by...

...the Patriots 34-28 over the Falcons in overtime. The first in Super Bowl history!

The game was great, but to spin the Super Bowl conversation in a more literary direction, here are a few observations:

1) "Super Bowl LI" makes it sound like the first Chinese Super Bowl. The notion of roman numerals was fine for the first couple of dozen Super Bowls, suggesting gladiatorial contests, but now its just confusing. Let it go.

2) The most obnoxious commercial included Mercedes Benz idiotic tag line: "Mercedes Benz: The best, or nothing." Some ad copywriters (one of my former professions) liked the sound of the tag line, and forgot that words actually mean something. Did they mean to suggest that people who can't afford Mercedes should refrain from driving, or taking buses, or riding bicycles? Do they mean to say that those who can't afford to eat lobster should starve to death? The line is so obnoxious that it amazes me that it could have been approved by anyone, let alone executives who run a multi billion dollar corporation.

3) I like Lady Ga Ga, but her half time show was horrible (as are most half-time shows at the super bowl, although the last two from Beyonce and Katy Perry have been better).

4) The constant yammering about "legacy" for athletes is silly. I dislike athletes who seem concerned with their "brand" or their "legacy". Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods shilled shamelessly for Nike, trying to present a (phony) squeaky clean image while promoting gear made in sweat shops (in Tiger's case, in his mom's home country). Whether Tom Brady is chosen as The Greatest of All Time might be a fun, alcohol fueled discussion in some barroom (akin to the endless lists of great books posted on LitNet), but it can hardly be important to a reasonable Tom Brady. He lives in the moment, trying to win games for himself, his teammates, and his team -- not for some idiotic "legacy". (I doubt Leo Tolstoy would much care where he fits in on the lists posted at LitNet.)