Thread: Rookie Questions

Rookie Questions

Hello,
    Thank you, first of all, for taking the time to read this. I have a few questions, if you don't mind, that I would like to ask you about a writing career and getting published. I'd greatly appreciate any advice, be it positive or negative, about my story ideas. If you feel that I am on the wrong path or misguided in anyway, please do not hesitate to say so.

Brief history:
    My love for reading began in the 1st grade with "IT". I became a My love for writing blossomed in the 8th grade. I dazzled teachers and students alike for the next few years with my often humorous and entertaining short stories, poems, and sketch comedy. Unfortunately, my priorities did not lie where they should have at the time and I ended up dropping out of school in the 9th grade. I did however, continue with my writing in several different tones, genres, and forms of media for nearly 20 years now.

1) With my college educated wife editing for me, is it even a possibility for an uneducated, but ridiculously clever, person to make an actual paying career out of it?

2) What kind of writing classes would you deem "must haves" for a career in literature?

3) I want to write several novels in few different genres(some being a series) I'm extremely interested in writing and directing commercials. I have some REALLY unique and intriguing ideas that could potentially give birth to a completely new genre of books. I have several children's stories I've been working on for about a decade or so (illustrations also). I'd love the opportunity to write and direct commercials eventually.

4) How do I find, procure, proceed with finding an agent and or publishing company?

5) Novel Ideas... I have been working for about a year and a half on the development of a couple epic sci-fi stories as well as some never before conceived notions about a fantasy/adventure series. Originally I had thought about what would happen if a classic story was written backwards? The protagonist and antagonist would switch roles, right? As interesting as that is, I decided to take it a step further.
    What if... The SAME story is told from the villians perspective? Casting him as the justified hero. For example, Adolf Hitler. Though most considered him a madman, in his opinion. He saw himself as the good guy. I'm sure he had, what he believed, was a good reason for the holocaust. Imagine the top 25 Good vs. Evil classic stories retold in this fashion.
    That is one of many ideas.
    John P Gray I
    Last edited by Jpgray73; 02-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Nothing, huh? Thanks...I suppose.

Unfortunately your questions are beyond my scope, but perhaps others will stop by soon. Re: 5) AH - kinda creeps me out... just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Enchant Me

Your very being a desire for answer
    Lament not your unassailable mystery
    Enchant me with your dreams

5-14-2005
    A Poet in Garden Valley

Blog Entries
    I haven't written a book, but I think anyone can write fiction and make money especially if you are writing more than one book.

I don't think you need to take any classes, but watching youtube videos should help.

If you don't find an agent, you can self-publish. Don't just make an ebook with a print on demand option. Also consider an audio book. All you need is a good microphone and a quiet area with audacity.

Look for agents who work with authors you like to read in the same genre.

Just to remind you, I've never done any of this.