Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    You clearly have colder winters that we get here. Four feet in the driveway sounds very much to me. I suppose Anchorage in Alaska is a similar latitude to my part of Norrland. I Used to wear long johns in the winter. We will see how this winter turns out, but so far it is remarkably mild. Our part of Southern Norrland is not so far north. At 60s degrees north, similar to Anchorage. But we don't have the winters like Canada, presumably because it is surrounded by seas. I've always had a fascination for the Hudson Bay Company - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%27s_Bay_Company. Originally a British company.
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 10-15-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Well, yesterday was mild, but today (the 16th October) it is warm, we have sunshine and a temperature of 16 degrees celsius! I sat on the porch for half an hour in the sun in my indoor clothes. Lovely!

Blog Entries
    So gone are our autumn foliage ... tremendous winds blew them away, awwww! *shock*
    We are onto reality temps ... +6 - + 10C ... typical for this time of year ...
    *sigh*
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Here the fall is turning into winter, with temperatures around zero celsius. We had something similar last winter, so it looks like the mild winter we had then will repeat itself this year. Is global warming showing itself in Canada yet?

Blog Entries
    Is global warming showing itself in Canada yet?
    There are those who would quickly answer yes. However, I really am not sure. Our winters are more bitter than I can recall as a young child. Then again, our summers are lasting longer than what was experienced in my child years. So it is difficult for me to say. I am sure that there are a few studies going on, as the earth as a whole MUST have a vested interest in this subject. I understand that polar ice is melting at a never-seen-before-pace. This should worry us all...
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Yes, it is near the poles that the biggest changes are evident.

There is an interesting post on alligators and sharks, about how alligators sip fresh water off the top of salt water: http://earthsky.org/earth/alligators-eat-sharks.

"Despite the freshwater and saltwater differences, it’s fairly common for sharks and rays to share the water with alligators. Many sharks and rays can swim into freshwater where opportunistic alligators can’t pass up a good meal. Although alligators don’t have salt glands like true crocodiles, they are resourceful as they travel between freshwater and marine habitats." EarthSky website
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 10-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Yesterday it rained all day and all night. Not just rain, but heavy rain. Kept me in all day. This morning the drenching we had yesterday made the air seem saturated. It wasn't quite like being under water, but close to it. Hard to breathe.

Cold weather at last. temperature of 2 celsius this morning, but a strong north wind means windchill lowers this well below freezing. Staying in today if it doesn't improve.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I hope it does, so you can sit on the porch.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

No, is not possible so late in October to sit out in the sun, it too low on the horizon and very weak.

Blog Entries
    This past Friday, we received a dump of snow.... which stayed .... which meant shoveling. Not too bad a job, could've been worse...

Our temps are in the minus teens this week, and had a sprinkling of snow again today. Tonight will be a cold one, coldest night since winter past. 'Twill be minus 24-28 C. YIKES! Got to get my car plugged in, or it will be fussy to start come tomorrow!

But the winter smells are baaaaaaack!! Oh I love icy weather for just that.....
    ~Albert Einstein

I take warfarin for my heart, but since I am now 75 I find that in below freezing temperatures it makes my nose bleed. Luckily, we are still in a mild spell of weather, +3-4 degrees celsius so it happens rarely now.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully your mild spell shall last! I feel bad for you about the nosebleeds. Sorry to hear that.
    ~Albert Einstein

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast