Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    What surprised me was the large number of political parties in the Swedish Riksdag. Besides the Moderates (now the New Moderates) and the Social Democrats, there is the Centre Party, the Folk Party (now the Liberals), and the Christian Democrats (the last four combined to form the Alliance.

There are two other parties, the Left Party and the Greens, both supporting the Social Democrat Government. The Greens in addition have ministers in the current Social Democrat Government, which in turn negotiates with the Left Part over issues they work out in common.

There remains a Sweden Democrat Party with some 20+ percent of the votes in Riksdag, the third largest Riksdag party. Until recently they have been shunned by all the other parties. Now the Moderates want to vote together with the Sweden Democrats to defeat the government in the vote that normally takes place for Riksdag to pass the budget, later this year. The other three parties of the Alliance are against this strategy and there has been much debate and opposition to this from all three parties, but mostly from the Centre Party.

So these 8 parties make up the Riksdag as elected 3 years ago.

Why force an election just one year earlier than the 4-yearly election that otherwise normally takes place? All the parties have stayed silent on this issue, until, no doubt, the early election is forced and electioneering begins.
    Now there have been several polls, all of which point in the same direction. But the indications in the polls are that the electorate doesn't like the idea of forcing the election a year earlier than normal, and especially building a majority between the Moderates and the Sweden Democrats. It is so artificial. How can the Moderates get the votes from the Sweden Democrats while not including them in the new Government? My wife, who is canny about such things believes the whole idea will be dropped. I guess we will see...

Its the 1st March today, but the wintery weather continues. We had a couple of inches of snow before Christmas, but its been like this all through February freezing, melting, freezing again. The ice is hard-frozen and yesterday I stepped off the wooden front steps on to the ice that was so slippery my feet slid out from under me and I landed on my backside. Took a while to get up, floundering around like, well like a flounder. Kerstin helped me get up. She always comes with me since I fell in January.

But the days are lengthening rapidly and hopefully by mid-March the ice and snow will be gone.

The Centre-Right Government has announced that conscription is being introduced in Sweden. I believe it is rather restricted, though it is both for men and women. It is not universal conscription. More information when it becomes clearer what this involves. Meanwhile see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Sweden.

This article from http://www.thelocal.se/20160831/swed...iption-by-2019 is the best I can find on this in English. I will produce an update as soon as one comes out in English.

Dagens Nyheter 3 March p.4 writes that the armed forces begin recruiting some 4,000 boys and girls (begins on 1 July 2017) and recruiting 4,000 soldiers) in 2018 and 2019, then increasing numbers to 8,000 a year after that.

In Southern Norrland we have had quite a heavy fall of snow last night and today, some two decimetres (over 6 inches) has settled and it is expected to snow more. This is not unusual for this part of Sweden. But here we have been waiting for spring weather, so it is obviously disappointing.

We have watched the growing crisis in the Moderate Party, in which it has been steadily losing support at the polls, down now to 16.6%, compared to the Social Democrats 27.8%. It seems to lack any direction in its policy. Its leader, Anna Kinberg Batra, looks exhausted with dark rings around her eyes. Today's Dagens Nyheter sums it up as "Keep on course?: there is no course!" The Sweden Democrats with 18.2% are now the second largest party after the Social Democrats. There is already talk of the need for a new Moderate Party leader.

Interesting reading. I have always suspected languages, like most things, need to be maintained ; even vocal understanding is different from the written form. I learnt the meaning of many words before I could pronounce them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Its the 1st March today, but the wintery weather continues. We had a couple of inches of snow before Christmas, but its been like this all through February freezing, melting, freezing again. The ice is hard-frozen and yesterday I stepped off the wooden front steps on to the ice that was so slippery my feet slid out from under me and I landed on my backside. Took a while to get up, floundering around like, well like a flounder. Kerstin helped me get up. She always comes with me since I fell in January.

But the days are lengthening rapidly and hopefully by mid-March the ice and snow will be gone.
    Thanks, Magnocrat. Nice to know someone else reads this.

Well, it is now mid-March (12th March) and we still have snow and ice and subzero temperatures overnight (minus 4 celsius last night). Just as slippery as ever.

I always think the equinox is a turning point when day begins to outpace night;
    around the 21st of march. As a boy I used to like ice- skating but I never reached the graceful perfection of those ice- dancers. Perhaps the most curious fact about ice is that it floats on water which means water expands as it cools between 4C and 0C.
    A fact that seems to contradict common sense.
    We have hosts of yellow daffodils on the roadsides , they never fail to herald spring.

My guess is that you are either a Swede living in the south of England or a Brit living the far south of Sweden - Sweden is a huge country, and I know that the daffodils are blooming down there already!

I'm a seventy five year old retired Englishman on the south coast. I retired aged sixty one and have only a rudimentary education I set about filling in some of the gaps.
    I am Mr Average with an IQ of about 105 so some subjects proved a little to hard to grasp and I soon learnt to accept the expert consensus. I'm not greatly traveled having brought up a family of four who are in the fast lane.

You and I are the same age, and I am also a retired Englishman! Welcome to LitNet and feel free to contribute to the subject of this thread. If you want to learn more about my background visit the genealogy thread on this website.

Spring is taking a long time to come to Sweden, its already the spring equinox, but we have had snow this morning, its still snowing and settling, and temps around -2 celsius.

Still snowing today as well. And the snow is clogging, partly melted, hard to walk in.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast