Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

Blog Entries
    Hello there Dreamwoven, where you live sounds wonderful, is there much tourist business there,and if so what would be an ideal month to visit, I guess in the spring
    is that right.

Warmest regards Michael.
    I know nothing,and that is ALL.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am very sorry about the Reindeer herds of the Sami. I hope that there are NGOs to help them.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    More likely government organisations as the Sami are necessarily organised across International borders. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...cies_in_Norway

Blog Entries
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

The first link, on reindeer herding, is interesting. The present Swedish social democratic government is in favour of supporting the Sami.

It is now 15 May 2018. We have had blazing sunshine and blue skies since late April. Is this good? Water is becoming once more a problem, but it depends on what happens in the coming weeks. For now we enjoy the sunshine and temperatures in the mid-20s celsius. The rivers in the north are in spate with local flooding a problem. The weather is dominated by the high pressure area over Russia. Atlantic low pressure areas can't seem to penetrate Sweden except in the far south (Skåne), where they petre out.

Blog Entries
    Autumn/Winter are almost rainless seasons in the state, where I live. This often causes water problems because the reservoirs get very low. And São Paulo is a thickly populated city.

The weather in Brazil is dominated by several factors among them the Ocean currents El Niño and La Ninã:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Niño

The temperatures are similar to yours now, mid-20s celsius.

The kind of weather we have been having is continuing, but with chilly north winds keeping the temperature down. Otherwise blue skies. I think what has happened is that the Low pressure and its rain have moved south from Skåne avoiding the Russian high pressure area to the East. So we still get temperatures in the low 20s celsius, just not so hot.

I think what is happening is that the prevailing westerlies that still reach Britain are pushed south of Sweden, making Sweden both warmer and more sunny than the rest of Europe. This was mentioned in Sweden's weather forecasts. So perhaps this is a result of global warming that Sweden is benefiting from?

I wonder how this differs from Brazil influenced as it is by the ocean currents El Niño and La Ninã?

My point is that as the prevailing westerlies in Europe don't affect Sweden as much as they used to do, it is likely that other more distant prevailing winds are likely to be also affected. Niño and La Ninã are two such ocean currents. Are they also affected like the Gulf Stream in Europe?

Blog Entries
    Sorry, DW, saw #263 only now. These days there is more activity on Litnet and yesterday I only entered Internet in the afternoon owing to a connetion mistake I had to find out.

I don´t understand much about El Niño but I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVZrw7bk1w

Blog Entries
    Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVZrw7bk1w

Today we are having our first winter day!

It looks similar to the SW winds we get in Britain and Sweden from the Gulf Stream, but more stormy and wild. looks quite nasty.

Blog Entries
    The results are nasty too, because it plays hawoc with the seasons: Spring is hotter than Summer, and in Summer we have the milder autumn temperatures. Some years ago, when one of the niños was at work we had, what was then called Winter 40º C.
    Without the "children currents" we expect a more or less normal year, at least in regard to the weather.

May has broken all records for temperature and sunshine, but also for dryness and the risk of bushfires, the forests are tinder dry. Is this what global warming will bring, I wonder? Sweden remains under the influence of the Russian high pressure area, rain reaches Britain but then the low moves south rather thane east. So the rain comes to central Europe rather than Sweden.

Blog Entries
    The weather here is wonderful but Brazil is just coming out of a lorry strike(well, I hope it is).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-dictatorship