Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've been reading the long item on Carnival in Wikipedia. It is mainly a Catholic celebration, the only British survival from the Reformation is Shrove Tuesday, when pancake are eaten to symbolise breaking the 40-day fast.

The celebration in Catholic countries is much more fun-looking.

I've been reading the long item on Carnival in Wikipedia. It is mainly a Catholic celebration, the only British survival from the Reformation is Shrove Tuesday, when pancake are eaten to symbolise breaking the 40-day fast.

The celebration in Catholic countries is much more fun-looking.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is a great celebration , for the people that participate. Here in São Paulo up to now there were more than 9 Million people in the streets.
    But for those who prefer to stay at home or who have to work it is a nuisance. The music is amplified and you usually have difficulties when you have to get out because the streets and the public transport is flooded with people.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Sweden has the opposite problem. It is still cold at Easter, no open windows, and Sweden is much more lightly populated. The entire country is 10 millions, and those are disproportionately concentrated in the southern big cities - Gothenburg, Stockholm, Uppsala and furthest south of all - Lund...So pancake day (shrove Tuesday) is a good time to eat stodgy pancakes...

Blog Entries
    Well, I love pancakes!

I suspected that much, that is why I published video and pictures. It seems that the equivalent of all Sweden population has been on the streets of São Paulo, these days. For today a grand finale is programmed near by with singer Daniela Mercury. That means, that I´m going
    tostay at home quietly.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

The winter weather holds us in its icy grip. This is turning out to be a real "wolf winter" (what Swedes call "vargavinter"). Below freezing temperatures most of the time, 5 feet of snow on the ground, it snows lightly most of the time day and night. Global warming keeps the cold a bit at bay so the today the low only went to -6 celsius.

Blog Entries
    Here we are having a rainless Februar, which is unusual. After Januar, Februar is the rainiest month of the year. Temperatures are below 30ºC, which is fine. Yesterday the leaves chose to fall from the trees.

Hmm, what does this mean in terms of the season of "Fall"? ("Autumn", as we know it in Europe). Or is that not relevant in a tropical climate?

Blog Entries
    Here in São Paulo we say that we sometimes get all the four seasons on the same day. Today it´s very windy and more leaves are falling from the trees. Officially it is still summer.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Here in São Paulo we say that we sometimes get all the four seasons on the same day. Today it´s very windy and more leaves are falling from the trees. Officially it is still summer.
    I have heard "having four seasons in one day" used for so many places... I think it's a common occurrence in spring or autumn rather than in certain countries...
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I'm not sure it is relevant to Sweden, I don't think winter with snow is likely to exist together with hot weather...

I don't think it was meant for winter or summer, but as Scheherazade said, spring and autumn.

February 2018 is set to be a colder that average month this year. I look forward to reading the end of month figures. Below freezing is normal but with 5 feet of snow on the ground it could be near a record...

Blog Entries
    We are having an unusual February too. That means milder temperatures (mostly under 30º C) and very little rain. Anyway this season is drawing to an end.

The cold weather here continues and will do so for the next week. The high pressure area over Siberia is now over Sweden. Temperatures are below freezing everywhere, even in the far south of Sweden.