Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Today is bitterly cold, with an icy wind.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I´m sorry to read that. Here we had some refreshing autumn days, but it looks like it´s going to be very hot today.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

When we were in Minnesota we learned the expression "wind chill". This is what it means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill. The term is not use in Sweden, despite the fact that we also get strong winds here. Because of this, temperatures given in weather forecasts often grossly give an exaggerated view of temperatures, I mean like 15 celsius without wind chill when the temperature is closer to 2 celsius when wind chill effects are taken into account.

We have had an unusually cold March, and even today there is snow on the ground from yesterday's snow showers and bitterly cold winds. I was so chilled down from taking a short walk, that I fell asleep on the sofa, so my night was partly disturbed as a result. Must remember to take warm outer-trousers today. Tomorrow is 1st April. Starting to long for spring.

It is now 12th April, and winter is taking a long time to end. Minus degrees every night, tonight it went down to -5 celsius. The ground is frozen solid, though it melts during the day when the temperature gets up to +3 or 4, occasionally to +8 when the sun is warm. The crocuses are out, on an estate near us we can go for walks there and enjoy the display. We even have a few at home in the yard. South-facing slopes are best for this. Occasionally we get snowfalls in April. The relatively low rain and snowfall figures mean that water will be in short supply this year. May even be rationed.

This is an uncommonly cold Easter week. Minus 7 last night and with windchill added it feels like -12. Good Friday here is called Long Friday in Swedish. But the days are rapidly lengthening and there are crocuses peeking through the soil in south facing flower beds. Our sons are visiting us later today. Look forward to seeing them.

That's cold. When we lived high up in Wales it got to -14C in the winter and we had pumped water which failed due to frost. We were snowed in for two weeks.

That sounds tough, Magnocrat.

Sweden has added another holiday to its calendar, its called Annandag påsk, the sunday being påskdagen. Yesterday, the traffic was streaming back southward from the long weekend. It will likely be the same today. A time to enjoy skiing in the north.

We get occasional days like today, when the sun shines and it takes the edge off the cold. The leaves are budding on some trees, but it remains still wintry. Never the less, we have signs of spring. The ants were out today, foraging.

Same weather today, a bit worse with the icy wind lowering the temperature by some 10 degrees celsius. But we could get out for a trip to the north, some 35 minutes away by train.

Five days later it snowed all night and much of this morning, we now have several centimetres of snow on the ground. The winter seems to last forever...

Tomorrow night is Walpurgis Night, when Swedes celebrate the coming of spring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night. As it falls on a Sunday this year the Monday is a holiday as well.

Its Monday 1st May today, none of my posts have been answered...where is everyone???

Today is 1st May, the start of summer. -5 celsius overnight, but by mid-morning a blue sky and warm sunshine, very nice weather. Sat on the porch in the sun

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DW, I usually read all your posts(unless they are about books I haven´t read). I haven´t answered them because I am under the impression that you don´t like being answered.
    Have a nice holyday.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast