Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    The climate of Sweden has undergone a major shift in recent times. The prevailing westerlies that brought rain have weakened. Now the autumns bring snow instead of rain, we had about 6 inches of snow this winter. And we come under the influence of Russian weather more often. Right now we have blue skies and sit on the porch, it has been like this for several weeks now.

Early April and we are still under west Russian climatic influence. Expected to go on for a while yet.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I don't think sweet FA is thought of as the brutal murder of the child. It is used as a way of saying "sweet nothings".
    Thanks for the explanation, DW!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    The climate of Sweden has undergone a major shift in recent times. The prevailing westerlies that brought rain have weakened. Now the autumns bring snow instead of rain, we had about 6 inches of snow this winter. And we come under the influence of Russian weather more often. Right now we have blue skies and sit on the porch, it has been like this for several weeks now.

Early April and we are still under west Russian climatic influence. Expected to go on for a while yet.
    Thatt´s fine, DW, I mean the blue sky !
    Little internet this weekend. My modem has to be substituted. I´m sitting in the Public Library near my house now to be able to connect. Hope that by the beginning of the week things will be mended.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Today it feels like the first day of summer, the snow is melting remarkably quickly, the rivers are in spate, the birches still are not in leaf, but there is no hurry. We saw our first two Canada Geese this morning while we were out walking in Wij.

Blog Entries
    That´s fine, DW!
    We have now arrived to my favorite season: autumn. Luminous, sunny days, blue sky, mild temperatures so that one enjoys being outdoors.
    No Canada Geese here, but the numerous doves, that are around the place, seem to enjoy the weather.

Wij Gardens is one place we visit regularly once winter is spent.

The website is in Swedish: http://www.wij.se.

It is a joy to walk there...

Blog Entries
    Nice flowers! It looks well kept too. One can change the home page to German and English.

Blog Entries
    Trianon Park not far from where I live.

http://www.braziltravelbuddy.com/Sao...k/Trianon_Park

It looks lovely! Especially the nooks and many hidden paths. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    You´r welcome, DW. It´s just a bit of wood amidst our asphalt wilderness!

That makes it especially valuable.

You are right about Wij Gardens: it is in English and German, as well as Swedish. I have always used the Swedish version, but I will from now on use the English version. The translation is not perfect, so I can switch between the Swedish and English versions.

The gardens are pleasant to walk in, but sadly despite being subsidised by the city kommun it still makes a sizeable loss, so its future is uncertain.

Today 1st May, is valborg: Walpurgis night, in Sweden - actually the day after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

Its often cold up here, which is an the 60th parallel, the same as Anchorage in Alaska!

The weather turned colder in the last few days, yesterday I didn't go out at all, just stayed inside, we had frosts and cold winds. Often happens in May...

Blog Entries
    Today 1st May, is valborg: Walpurgis night, in Sweden - actually the day after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

Its often cold up here, which is an the 60th parallel, the same as Anchorage in Alaska!
    Thanks, DW. This set me right. I always thought Witches Night was on the Eve of
    All Saints Day.