Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    We have noticed that temperatures given in the regional forecasts are always several degrees warmer than is shown on our thermometer, typically 5 or 6 celsius as against our readings of 2 celsius. The placing of the outdoor thermometer has an important influence. We put ours outside on the north-facing window, which partly explains the variation.

Closed
    Greetings, DW! I've been thinking of you lately. Our New England woods have been echoing the honks of low-flying Canada geese, typically landing in an ungainly but somehow graceful V-formation. This is our early harginger of spring (just as the appearance of the first junco means that heavy snows are all but upon up). I remembered your talking about feeling a kind of mystical bond with the Canada goose, so I wanted to let you know that this spirit is haunting us once again. May it bring fair changes!

Well, Pompey, spring comes to you much earlier than to us. Its still full winter here.

Closed
    Oh, we're not quite there yet. We dodged a bullet yesterday (heavy snow predicted, but it turned out to be just wind-blown rain). A very few songbirds could be heard this morning (and even the patter of a woodpecker somewhere), but it was nothing like the symphony that's coming. I'd give the March lamb about two or three weeks to get here.

12 March: It snowed all night and all morning, dropping a further 4 inches of snow on us. So still no sign of spring.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Could do with alittle colder Weather, today. 34ºC. Maybe hottest day of 2018 as yet.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

I have read the Japanese author, though the style of literature he uses is not one I feel comfortable with. Just the way it is...

I was ill yesterday, my heart was giving me problems. Better now, though.

Blog Entries
    I am glad to learn that you are better, DW!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Thanks, Danik.

I overdid it going out for a short walk to the postbox. It was just too cold for me. The overnight low today was -18 celsius, but clear skies and sunshine made both yesterday and today a bit on the cold side, max of -4 celsius.

But the days are starting to get warmer, today the sun's warmth could actually be felt.

Blog Entries
    Well I can understand one getting impatient of having to stay indoors for so long. But spring is coming.

Just now we are having those very hot summer days above 30ºC we didn´t have in Februar. Hoping for a mild autumn.

The weather has turned mild, it is now 4 celsius, though it will fall below freezing overnight, making it slippery to walk on. Large falls of snow from the roof of the croft to the steps up to the front door. It will have to be cleared away...

Blog Entries
    Congrats! Minus 2 celsius is probably the lowest temperature I ever experimented. We had a midsummer storm yesterday.
    Hope the snow clearing service works...

The snow clearing work doesn't work. 6 feet piles of snow are along the edges of the road near us. One in Sundsvall - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundsvall - reached 5 meters high, reported on the news,

Plus 5 celsius today, but no sign of the snow on the ground melting. At this rate autumn will be on us before it has melted.

Blog Entries
    Probably the sun isn´t hot enough as yet. Can you take walks in this weather?