Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast

Thread: A Brit in Sweden

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Now we have not had rain for 90 days, today we had a brief shower, some 30 minutes long, hardly had enough to wet the ground. The forecast is for prolonged drought.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    90 days without rain! I hope there is enough water in the homes.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Don't worry, the price of water is going up by about SEK 1,000 a year.

Blog Entries
    Is that little or much?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Its quite a lot. There are roughly SEK100 to the dollar, and the Euro is the same. The dollar fluctuates in value depending on the US economy, but the Euro is more artificial. If you follow its value it goes up when it receives a boost of savings from the Euro, as there are several currencies which hold the value down, like Greece, Italy and other weak currencies. The EU tries to keep it to the ratio of one per US dollar. But it is a constant drain on EU resources.

I used to be against the EU, but I have kind of resigned myself to it existence. The latest daft idea the EU has is to have its own volunteer army. This, of course, can be a big burden, justified because the USA under Trump is making big cut-backs. An EU voluntary army duplicates NATO, without providing it with a sound military basis. I suspect the volunteer army will switch over to compulsory once the idea is accepted.

Sweden is not joining the EU army, but staying outside. I am not sure how it manages this, I think it kind of keeps ducking the issue...Anyway it works OK so far...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Is that little or much?
    Yes, water and electricity here are rising to. There is the red flag for electricity, when the season is very dry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I used to be against the EU, but I have kind of resigned myself to it existence. The latest daft idea the EU has is to have its own volunteer army. This, of course, can be a big burden, justified because the USA under Trump is making big cut-backs. An EU voluntary army duplicates NATO, without providing it with a sound military basis. I suspect the volunteer army will switch over to compulsory once the idea is accepted.

Sweden is not joining the EU army, but staying outside. I am not sure how it manages this, I think it kind of keeps ducking the issue...Anyway it works OK so far...
    So much the better if you have sons and grandsons.

I don't know what I wrote there, its nothing to do with the proposed EU army, I was referring to Sweden not joining the Euro. Governments of all parties have avoided this, we keep our own currency, the Swedish crown (SEK).

Today we are getting heavy showers - extra-heavy and prolonged. The first real rain this summer!

Blog Entries
    Congrats! This means more water, even if it is a Sunday, where you have to stay at home. The weather forecast announced a hot day,29º C, with rain in the evening.

One of my enduring interests is Scottish history. I have several books by Nigel Tranter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Tranter but I am considering the possibility of acquiring some more of his books. I like his style of writing, too.

John Prebble also wrote several books on Scottish history, especially the fire and sword trilogy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P..._Sword_Trilogy, on the depopulation of the Scottish Highlands. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prebble. I was assistant lecturer at Aberdeen University for 5 year in the 1960s.

Orion the Hunter rises in the east an hour before dawn. Sadly, we don't have a clear view to the east and anyway at our latitude its still dark, I think around 4 am. See http://earthsky.org/tonight/orion-th...he-summer-dawn.

I looked up Tranter in Wikipedia in Wictionary and found this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tranter, one whop trants, a peddler, a carrier.