Thread: First non-French printings of The Three Musketeers?

First non-French printings of The Three Musketeers?

Hi all, I'm turning to your expertise to answer this question.

When were the first non-French printings of TTM available? I know there was an English translation in the 1850's, but what about other languages?

I am writing a historical short story where the heroine is Russian, but she is a big Dumas fan. The story is set in 1861-62, so I need editions that she might have. She's multi-lingual, and reads English, German, Danish, and Norwegian in addition to her native tongue. Yes, I could use the English translation, but she's the type who likes to practice her other languages so I think it would be more I interesting to have her working to improve one of her less used languages. She starts the story on a trans-atlantic voyage from Le Havre to New York, which will take weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I'll use your name as a character in the story. I haven't named any of her fellow passengers yet.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is a first German edition of 1845 (translation by August Zolle) which she could use.
    But couldnīt she want to learn French to be able to read the original?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    There is a first German edition of 1845 (translation by August Zolle) which she could use.
    But couldnīt she want to learn French to be able to read the original?
    That's actually a pretty good idea, and I think I will probably have her do just that. I'm not sure if a three week voyage will give her enough French to read Dumas in the vernacular, but it might be a good incentive for her to start learning. On a French flagged vessel, she'd have ample sources to ask for help and practice with.

Thank you for the information and suggestion.

EDIT: And I have written you into the story as M. Danik, a Swiss banker who plays chess skillfully against my heroine.
    Last edited by SCWillson; 01-22-2017 at 08:12 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am very honoured SC, specially considering that my real identity is very far from a Swiss banker and I have only a very pale notion of chess.

As for your heroine learning French, it seems that it often was spoken by the cultivated Russian gentry in the 19C.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

That's OK, and you'll be happy to know that your namesake got the heroine in some trouble, as she was alone in a room with a single man and was then accused of being a harlot. Don't worry, he was a complete gentleman. 😁