Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Plagiarism is Wrong

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Why Plagiarism is Wrong

It's theft.

If someone deliberately takes another's intellectual property and attempts to present it as his own work, that's plagiarism. We all know that. We also know that lifting complete essays or theses or purchasing a "college paper" online and passing it in for credit can get you booted out of school or worse.

We might have read or heard about unwitting parents getting slapped with huge multi-thousand dollar fines because their children had illegally downloaded music files and "shared" them online. Stealing another's creative work in written form is the same thing.

One can be guilty of plagiarism when "quoting" another's work without attribution. That's never okay.

Even if you do identify the original source, if you might be stepping into dangerous ground if you just "quote" it without commenting upon it. There are specific instances in which we can quote someone else's work, but in these cases we have to follow the rules of "fair use." That means we are using just a portion of the original work for a critical review, a scholarly paper, or the like. You can't just quote Bob Dylan's lyrics just because you "feel" like it.

Elsewhere on these forums a member stated that he (or she) believed that not being able to quote another's work infringed on one's "free speech." The countries which hold personal liberties sacred (such as the one in which I proudly reside) allows self-expression with very few limits (such as the famous admonition against a false shout of "fire!" in a crowded theatre.) For the most part, I can say or write anything I damned well please, as long as I am willing to take responsibility for what I say and that the words I use are my own.

Free societies which make a point of civil liberties aren't all one-sided. Other citizens have rights as well, among them the right not to have their intellectual property stolen out from under them.

The aforementioned LitNutter who thought his free speech rights were compromised mentioned that the copyright laws were designed mainly to protect monetary interests, the rationale, I suppose, being that extremely wealthy artists and performers wouldn't miss a few cents in royalty payments here and there. Imagine if every fan thought this way and acted accordingly -- we're talking about a substantial hit. And that's not just to the
    victim-- just like the illegal downloaders, the plagiarist himself can be held liable for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in fines and damages.

There's an old joke that goes "Whenever anyone says 'It's not the money, it's the principle,' it's really the money." In the case of stealing another's creative work, it is the principle, though.

Let me give you a case in point, one that is close to home.

A little over two years ago there was a crisis on the Literature Network Forum. A person maintaining another website had systematically lifted numerous original poems written by LitNet members and posted them without any form of attribution on his or her own website. One of our members discovered this by chance, when she saw the queue of poems on that site, all allegedly written by screen name "Personal Poetry." The alert LitNutter noticed that these were the same titles --and complete poems--that had originally appeared on the LitNet. Those of us whose poems had been stolen were horrified; one LitNet member said that she felt "violated." Another LitNet member graciously, painstaking, and tirelessly worked to have the stolen works taken down.

So you can see the damage that plagiarism can do when not even one cent changes hands. If someone lifted your work and posted it elsewhere without giving you credit, how would you feel?

Realistically speaking, nobody is going to object if you sing a hit song in the shower or rock along with the car radio. There is a difference between private and public use. When you post something on a website, such as this one, it automatically becomes public, no matter how many users log on. When you register as a member of the Literature Network Forum that means that you agree to follow the rules, such as this one-- which I'm quoting fairly!--

"5. If you are going to refer to or use content from other sites, authors, or entities, you must include a link or citation for it. You cannot copy and paste entire articles, stories, poems, or etc. from other sites or entities as that is copyright infringement, and contributes nothing to discussion. You should not need more than a few lines, sentences, or maybe a paragraph, to make your point in reference to the topic/discussion. From Copyright.gov ; “Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports.” Passing off others’ work as your own, whether unintentionally or purposefully, is copyright infringement, and the Literature Network abides by the Copyright Laws of the United States of America and of other countries where applicable."

I hope I haven't offended anyone or insulted anyone's intelligence by bringing up this topic, but there are occasions when I think I should try to step up to the plate offering what little I can to do the right thing. In addition to the LitNet anecdote mentioned above, I've lived long enough to have experienced how heartbreaking it was when, after spending time, effort, and hope in the attempt to have my work accepted, it had been taken out from under me. So please read and heed:

Plagiarism is always wrong. It's not only good manners, it's the law.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 05-07-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I remember that crisis. It was appalling to see my poems posted on another website, as if somebody else had written them.

What about pictures Aunty? I mean I copy and paste pics on this site (my avatar for e.g) Would you consider that the theft of intellectual property too?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I stole my yin-yang avatar from someone who probably stole it from someone else who probably stole it from someone else who probably stole it from someone else. . . . . . . . .

meh, people clip my responses from this forum and paste them into their essays. I've heard my ideas spoken in front of me in classes before, and I am sure they got them from me (they made similar mistakes, that I came to identify after), yet nobody is standing up for me. Where is the line?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    meh, people clip my responses from this forum and paste them into their essays. I've heard my ideas spoken in front of me in classes before, and I am sure they got them from me (they made similar mistakes, that I came to identify after), yet nobody is standing up for me. Where is the line?
    Wow, really, JBI? In some weird way, that's gotta kind of make you proud, no? It would me. It would also piss me off quite a bit. I wouldn't let it go. I'd go to the professor.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    I don't upload personal poetry on line; anywhere, anymore, for that same reason. Unless of course it is a co-write, with a fellow forum member.

Blog Entries
    I'm still upset that Shakespeare stole some of my ideas so many years ago. And he got away with it just because they didn't have a copyright on them...
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Yes... Well one can never top Romeo and Juliet, no matter how many rewrites or remakes of films, plays or stage performances!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Wow, really, JBI? In some weird way, that's gotta kind of make you proud, no? It would me. It would also piss me off quite a bit. I wouldn't let it go. I'd go to the professor.
    Well, one can only catch it during presentation, and I instead just ask incredibly difficult and awkward questions that stumble them, and pick apart the entire argument. That is good enough revenge.

As for ego, well, I put my ideas out there, of course, but that doesn't mean my name should not be acknowledged. I don't mind others knowing what I think, but to shamelessly steal it is just annoying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    I remember that crisis. It was appalling to see my poems posted on another website, as if somebody else had written them.

What about pictures Aunty? I mean I copy and paste pics on this site (my avatar for e.g) Would you consider that the theft of intellectual property too?
    Oh, Delta, I may be the wrong person to ask about photos. I don't even know how to deal with that sort of files (JPEG and the like) on "Pong 2.0" (our PC.) That's why my profile page here on the LitNet is so boringly blank.

As a rule of thumb it's best to assume that most
    photos are the property of the original photographer, and that they are most likely copyrighted.

There are, to my admittedly limited knowledge, numerous websites offering free photos, that is, those which are in the public domain. As ever, use caution if you download anything without first ascertaining as well as you can whether the site is "safe," w/o spyware and adware.

Auntie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post

It depends whether the picture in question is in the public domain or not. If it is in the public domain, you're free to use it. If it isn't and the creator of the picture doesn't allow other people to use it (either for non-commercial or even commercial use), using it is - as far as I know - a copyright infringment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It depends whether the picture in question is in the public domain or not. If it is in the public domain, you're free to use it. If it isn't and the creator of the picture doesn't allow other people to use it (either for non-commercial or even commercial use), using it is - as far as I know - a copyright infringment.
    That's just what I said in the reply just before yours.

Blog Entries
    In the UK the way that the standard English language exam for 16 year olds has been changed. The kids - and anyone else taking the exam - are required to write their former coursework in controlled conditions in school. They no longer do it at home.

This is harder for them, but ultimately much better, because they will have no opportunity to plagiarise work culled from the internet.

A few years ago I had a student who was writing about the Morlocks from The Time Machine. Not only had he not read the book, he didn't have any idea what the story was about. I googled his essay text and it took me to a graphic novel site where he had just copied and pasted the text into his excuse for an essay.

With the new system it means that this can't happen and that the kids actually have to work at their writing. It's got to be better.
    Last edited by Paulclem; 05-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Banned
    I completely agre with you about the immorality of plagiarism of art, but then again it should be noted that Shakespeare was a huge plagiarist; and I also completely agree with the maxim of T.S Elliot - "Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal"

On a relative side note, here is an article about great men who plagiarized, if anything it is interesting to look at: http://www.cracked.com/article_17198...iarism_p2.html

Blog Entries
    I think we need to be prepared that what is posted on the net is subject to uses the OP never dreamed of. If we treasure our own work and are concerned that somebody will cut and paste and use it for their own purposes, then don't put it out there for somebody else to use.

Plagiarism also reminds me of the issue of privacy. This is the World Wide Web for God's sake! Release it to the public at your own risk!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast