Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Shoes

Shoes

Sitting in a restaurant, is it socially acceptable to take off your shoes? mildly uncouth? Socially abhorrent?

What say you ?

Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In my country it would be abhorent, except maybe if it is an informal beach restaurant or a cheap restaurant in a place, where people usually don´t wear shoes.

A less compromising solution:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havaianas

(No I´m not their representant. And I`m wearing a flip-flop from another brand)
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 01-14-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

kinda like what danik is hinting at, id say it runs the gamut papayahed to socially acceptable to uncouth based largely on the location, décor, clientele and purpose of the place.

maybe the more fun question is, whats makin' ya ask?

ummmmmmm no reason.....

I like to leave work for lunch especially when I'm in school so I have an hour of mostly uninterrupted study time. The other day I was at a casual sushi restaurant and I made myself at home - books and paper everywhere and my shoes off. That's when it hit me that I might be a little too comfortable..

you uncouth muppet! laughs...

its interesting to consider though isn't it.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Pretty normal in an outdoor restaurant in the Cayman Islands. Indoors, well nothing would be said - and who cares what they think, unless they can affect your life i.e. members of the regime at work etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    you uncouth muppet! laughs...
    Beaker.jpg

As you can see I'm still stumped on how to post a picture.

Blog Entries
    Here on the ice it would be fine at a coffee house or bar maybe, some restaurants but not nice ones. Not wearing socks though is considered, I don't know, not very polite I guess, I never wear socks and when ever I visit my mom she tells me how terrible it is and I should at least wear socks visiting other people. I just hate socks they are very restricting.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    While on an airplane today, I thought of this thread and took off my shoes while the plane was in flight. It felt pretty good. I almost took my socks off and threaded my fingers between my toes, doing a "yoga handshake", but thought the guy sitting next to me might not understand.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad idea taking off the shoes on a plane, specially if it is a longer flight. But for some yoga positions, one really has to have understanding neighbours.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    In my country it would be abhorent, except maybe if it is an informal beach restaurant or a cheap restaurant in a place, where people usually don´t wear shoes.

A less compromising solution:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havaianas

(No I´m not their representant. And I`m wearing a flip-flop from another brand)
    He has to ask? Eeks! Keep your toenail fungus and distorted toes well ensconced, please. Here's another helpful hint, since you don't seem to know these things. Halfway out of your head is a poor place to keep your false teeth at a dance or a luncheon.