Thread: post-2000 poetry suggestions

post-2000 poetry suggestions

This is for my English literature A level.

I am trying to find a contemporary poet whose work I like enough to study. Unfortunately, I know very few. My taste tends to be Christina Rossetti, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Robert Frost, Edgar Allan Poe, W.B. Yeats, Rudyard Kipling, etc.

I would much prefer not to study 'cutting-edge' poems that contain bad language and have little to no form, rhyme, or appreciable poetry in them. Free verse is welcomed, but I would really, really like to find a modern poet who writes true poetry, from the heart, rather than clever or disturbing poems that feel artificial and contrived. The poems I choose to study must be post-2000.

If anyone knows of any poets like this - even if they are quite 'cutting-edge' - I would love to hear of them.

Thank you!

Kate tempest might be a good place to start, I you want something modern. Ancient & Moderns would offer you something to work with. Alternatively Owen Sheers writes some excellent landscape poetry, John Burnside teeters on the edge of the mystical and there's Helen Mort and Liz Berry too. Adam Horowitz offers some good stuff too. Alternatively you could look at the Map & the Clock - a recent anthology put together by Carol Anne Duffy & Gillian Clarke which includes a selection from 2000 onwards.

Don Patterson is another poet you might want to look at. His latest collection of sonnets might offer something you could use for comparison with the romantics. You could look at how Patterson uses the form and how Wordsworth or others do it.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've heard of Gerard Manley Hopkins, so looked him up in Wikipedia. I also know of the other poets you mention. Good luck in you work!

Blog Entries
    Try Mary Oliver for free verse and Lang Leav (Love & Misadventure) for metrical and prose poetry.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Richard Wilbur is still alive (95) and one of the great American classicists. Definitely look into him. I would also suggest Anthony Hecht's The Darkness and the Light (2001). Anne Carson and Geoffrey Hill are also poets to look into. John Ashbery is arguably the greatest living American poet... but admittedly a bit more modernist in style. Others would include Seamus Heaney, Derek Walcott, Wislawa Szymborska, Adam Zagajewski, Charles Simic, Yves Bonnefoy, Dana Gioia, Robert Pinsky, Dana Gioia, Paul Muldoon, among others.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Try Mary Oliver for free verse and Lang Leav (Love & Misadventure) for metrical and prose poetry.
    Although I think these two are good places to start when looking for poetry written in this century, you could also look online for poems that are written currently. In particular you might try the following:

1) dVerse Pub: https://dversepoets.com

2) Poet's Corner: https://poetscornerblog.wordpress.com/

3) Poets United: http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/

4) imaginary garden with real toads: http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/

I am sure there are others like the above. You can also link and/or post your own poetry on these sites.
    Last edited by YesNo; 02-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.

I have no idea when i see this page

A.E. Stallings, I guess, is alright.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'