Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: What happened to papayahead?

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries

What happened to papayahead?

She abruptly stopped posting in August

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Maybe we should send out a search party!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Here I am, the search party found me with my nose in "My Grandmother asked Me to tell You She's Sorry".
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Love that title. How is it? A Man Called Ove was one of the best things I read in '16... Rather entertaining.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Disappearing members no longer surprise me. Among the members I spent a good deal of time interacting with, I would need to include:

Annamariah
    Aramis
    blazeofglory
    Buh4Bee
    cafolini
    DanielBenoit
    DarkMuse
    hillwalker
    Il Penseroso
    kiki1982
    Lote-Tree
    mal4mac
    MarkBastable
    Maximilianus
    Neely
    Petrarch's Love
    PrinceMyshkin
    taliesin
    TheAtheist
    Virgil

DarkShadow02
    AuntShecky
    mortalterror
    Gilliat Gurgle
    Gladys
    JBI
    JCamilo
    Lokasenna
    JuniperWoolf
    quasimodo1

Those of the first group are all gone or nearly gone. Those of the latter rarely seem to post. I tend to run into mortalterror more over at the art site I frequent than here.

Social media sites... Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have likey resulted in fewer and fewer posters here. Of course many of the individuals I have named have moved on with their lives and careers... and perchance no longer need to seek out others to discuss books and reading with online. My own participation has dwindled to next-to-nothing as a rarely find myself drawn into any discussions of books and reading that interest me.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Sign of the times I suppose. Although, I've also been very inconsistent with my posting in the past two years.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Disappearing members no longer surprise me. Among the members I spent a good deal of time interacting with, I would need to include:

Annamariah
    Aramis
    blazeofglory
    Buh4Bee
    cafolini
    DanielBenoit
    DarkMuse
    hillwalker
    Il Penseroso
    kiki1982
    Lote-Tree
    mal4mac
    MarkBastable
    Maximilianus
    Neely
    Petrarch's Love
    PrinceMyshkin
    taliesin
    TheAtheist
    Virgil

DarkShadow02
    AuntShecky
    mortalterror
    Gilliat Gurgle
    Gladys
    JBI
    JCamilo
    Lokasenna
    JuniperWoolf
    quasimodo1

Those of the first group are all gone or nearly gone. Those of the latter rarely seem to post. I tend to run into mortalterror more over at the art site I frequent than here.

Social media sites... Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have likey resulted in fewer and fewer posters here. Of course many of the individuals I have named have moved on with their lives and careers... and perchance no longer need to seek out others to discuss books and reading with online. My own participation has dwindled to next-to-nothing as a rarely find myself drawn into any discussions of books and reading that interest me.
    Yeah, I miss Petrarch's Love, Virgil, JBI, DrkShadow03, and MorpheusSandman. I still see JCamilo around, and I know I saw Lokasenna not too long ago. I just haven't seen a lot of topics here which interest me lately. I've been taking classes, reading more stuff about philosophy, history, art, and music. Literature has mostly been on the back burner except for a creative writing class I took last semester. When I do read fiction now, I'm mostly interested in stuff from the middle ages that nobody around here probably cares about at all. I've been making a couple of half-hearted attempts to write poetry, but it's all so bad I don't feel like sharing it in the poetry section. I posted in the religion section for a while, but I've come to feel like too much of that or political discussions tend to key me up.

I came here back in '08 because I needed an outlet, a place to talk about cultural stuff, since I'd just graduated from college but some of my friends hadn't graduated from high school. Now that I'm back in school, I'm mostly getting my fix for intellectual stimulation and conversation there.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Love that title. How is it? A Man Called Ove was one of the best things I read in '16... Rather entertaining.
    Very Good. It was a little slow in some parts but the other parts made up for it.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I suppose photography (and photography sites:instagram, flickr, facebook) have taken my time. I'm happy to be back now though

I tend to run into mortalterror more over at the art site I frequent than here.

I'd be curious to know the name of said art site? I've been on the lookout for a good art forum for a while.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    I'd be curious to know the name of said art site? I've been on the lookout for a good art forum for a while.
    Count me curious, too.

My own participation has dwindled to next-to-nothing as a rarely find myself drawn into any discussions of books and reading that interest me.
    Perhaps, with some planning, we could think up of discussions that could interest more members. Are there any topics in which you would be especially interested in discussing presently? From your "About Me" section, I see we are both great fans of Dante. After having devoted myself to Medieval Latin for most of last year, I am now studying Italian more seriously, and I'm probably going to come back to Dante in the original language later this year. If you and anyone else were interested, we could discuss the Commedia at greater length. I'm especially interested in the influence of medieval literature in all aspects of the poem, as well as on its later, vast impact over Renaissance literature and European Humanism.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    Yeah, I miss Petrarch's Love, Virgil, JBI, DrkShadow03, and MorpheusSandman. I still see JCamilo around, and I know I saw Lokasenna not too long ago. I just haven't seen a lot of topics here which interest me lately. I've been taking classes, reading more stuff about philosophy, history, art, and music. Literature has mostly been on the back burner except for a creative writing class I took last semester. When I do read fiction now, I'm mostly interested in stuff from the middle ages that nobody around here probably cares about at all.
    I am a fan of Medieval Literature, so, if you were interested in discussing any of your current readings, I would probably be interested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    I would also be very interested in contributing in such a forum.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The art site that both I and MortalTerror frequent is Wet Canvas. It was at one time among the 10 largest and most active forums (on any topic) on the net, and remains likely the biggest forum devoted to art... unless you count Deviant Art and ConceptArt.org... which really focus more upon illustration, fantasy/sci-fi art, CGI, anime, etc...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/

There are probably a few others beyond myself who would be interested in discussions on Dante or other writers of his ilk... but speaking for myself, I'll leave it to others to begin such a dialog.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/