Thread: Meaning of a phrase - "Condemned to false infinity'

Meaning of a phrase - "Condemned to false infinity'

Hi,

I've started 'Crime and Punishment' and I came across the following phrase - "Condemned to false infinity"
    Can anybody please tell what it refers to?

thanks,
    -pruthig

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    No idea. Have you checked the Wikipedia item on the book? Its pretty long, the answer might just be in there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Punishment or in whatever your own mother tongue happens to be?

Blog Entries
    It makes no sense to me either. What is the context of the phrase?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    " Condemned to false infinity."

Cannot place it in "Crime and Punishment," but some speculation on the words used:

1. "Infinity" would perhaps be "Hell' if one was condemned.
    2. The puzzle lies in the preceding word " false." Is there a "Hell" or is it an illusion with a forgiving God?

Ah there's the rub!!

M.

Born with no choice into a life that seems infinite but is not? But that is just a guess; I don't know the context.
    Last edited by jay20; 12-28-2016 at 11:11 AM.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    A quick Google search leads to Simone Weil reflecting on Evil in "Gravity and Grace"

"Monotony of evil: anything new, everything about it is equivalent. Never anything real, everything about it is imaginary.
    It is because of this monotony that quantity plays so great a part. A host of women (Don Juan) or of men (Célimène), etc. One is condemned to false infinity. That is hell itself."
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

The phrase suggests two meanings to me. The first might be that it is the folly of youth to think you will live forever, or more accurately stated, it is the folly of youth to not appreciate the value of time and its relation to the finite limits of human life.

The second interpretation suggests a biblical allusion, as in the false promises of Satan. An infinity with God is eternal bliss, but an infinity with Satan is an infinity of pain and torment - it is a great lie; a false infinity.

It's been several years since I read the book, so I don't remember the context the phrase was used in, but these two interpretations are what spring to mind.

P.S. Another possibility is the idea of living past your death by means of leaving a lasting impression, as through some great deed(s), or great works of art etc. If one does not possess real talent, or is under false pretenses of greatness, then the idea that they will be remembered long after death is a false infinity.
    Last edited by Vota; 12-31-2016 at 09:21 PM.