Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need recommendation for reading (Specifically classics)

I have a copy collecting dust in my closet. Is it easy to read??? How much effort is involved???

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    Quite right. Austen and the Brontes are opposites,

If you want to read what many consider THE classic English novel, read Middllemarch by George Eliot.

George Eliot was a highly intellectual woman, by name Marion Evans. She is in part influenced by Austen in so far as there in a strong element of social comedy (which the Brontes just don’t do.) But she covers a greater social range than Austen and deals with profound social, political and religious issues.

Although an atheist, George Eliot seems to me to deal with religious experience far more convincingly than any other Victorian novelist.
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

"Metamorphose" by Franz Kafka is already considered a classic, i believe. One of my favourite books.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Terror View Post
    I have a copy collecting dust in my closet. Is it easy to read??? How much effort is involved???
    Middlemarch is a long novel, but I find it perfectly readable. It is very important for the reasons I have given, but to be honest I admire it rather than enjoy it. Like Austen and Dickens, Eliot has a sense of irony and social comedy with depth. However Austen and Dickens (however different they seem) are both able to describe monsters of selfishness. As a more morally serious, intellectual and charitable woman, Eliot nearly always can find excuses for weak character. That is greatly to her credit, but it means I find Dickens and Austen far more fun.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Hi! I have recently read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and I really enjoyed it cause I am fond of Gothic genre.
    I also recommend you Moby Dick!

One of the best european classics is "Os Maias", by Eça de Queiróz. It's also considered one of the best portuguese books of the XIX century, and a landmark of Portuguese Literature. It has been translated to more than 30 languages, including english. In fact, the english translation of 2008 won the Oxford Translation Prize.

I haven't been able to be online for a while. And I thank all of you.

Now, I'm thinking about reading How To Read A Book first. Then, I think of reading Emma. I'll also choose one more book among those before I order them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12