Thread: please guide me if you can

Goraya

Smile please guide me if you can

what should i read after GREAT EXPECTATIONS, I have read A TALE OF TWO CITiES

Bleak House.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Seconded. Little Dorrit is good, but Bleak House is far more typical.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beside the already recomended novels, I also love David Copperfield and from his later phase Our Mutual Friend

If you prefer to have a look at his shorter fiction I suggest:
    "A Christmas Carol" and "The Cricket on the Heart "

https://www.familychristmasonline.co...cket_intro.htm
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by chudaryumair66 View Post
    what should i read after GREAT EXPECTATIONS, I have read A TALE OF TWO CITiES
    Welcome back, chudaryumair! I am glad you stuck with A Tale of Two Cities. I remember you said you were finding it's Victorian syntax a little challenging. I would love to hear your ideas about the book as a whole. I am not clear from your post whether you have already finished Great Expectations.

The novels my friends have mentioned are among the greatest Dickens ever wrote. The are all extremely long, though, so you might find them a little overwhelming. My suggestion would be to try a shorter read for next endeavor. You may like A Christmas Carol, a favorite classic many of us reread each December (it's a ghost story but very heartwarming), or perhaps Hard Times, which is about harsh conditions in England's industrial north. I haven't actually read Hard Times, so I can't recommend it directly (JR is our Dickens expert, so maybe he has an opinion). But if you feel like you are ready for something longer, I would suggest Oliver Twist. The plot is less rambling than Bleak House, Little Dorrit, or David Copperfield, so it would be a good intermediate read. When you feel confident with Dicken's prose (or if you found/find Great Expectations easy to read), you can move on to the great novels mentioned in the posts above. Enjoy whatever you choose!
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.

I wouldn't recommend Hard Times - it just isn't typical at all.

For a short read, there are three of the short stories included in Pickwick Papers - the Christmas ghost story of Gabriel Grub and the Goblin and the two stories told by the Bagman about his uncle.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    I wouldn't recommend Hard Times - it just isn't typical at all.
    Thanks, JR. It sounds a little grim. And I can't quite imagine a Dickens novel with no part set in London.

Spot on, Pompey. It is the only Dickens novel with no scenes in London, and indeed the City of London. (The City is now the British equivalent of Wall Street and the site of the original Roman city, but in Dickens' day it was still residential.)
    Previously JonathanB

As an adult I've read David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol. I would heartily recommend them both.

Damn that Heep . . .

The short stories I recommended in Pickwick Papers can be found at

Chapter XIV The Bagman’s Story

Chapter XXIX The Story of the Goblin who stole the Sexton

Chapter Containing the Story of the Bagman’s Uncle
    Previously JonathanB