Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King James Bible - Do you have one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Well, when I was a graduate student (shortly before the time of Jesus and Thomas), Biblical references outside the bibliography were always parenthetical. If that's still the case, you should have no problem. I have given you the American style and JR the British. Pip is Canadian but he lives in Malaysia. Apparently he has given you the Malaysian style.

We have a healthy mix of theists, atheists, and agnostics on the site. I would love to hear your ideas about agnosticism sometime, but for now get your thesis done. Good luck on it!
    The MLA is the Modern Languages Association, it's also a US based style guide but used internationally like Chicago.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Closed
    Oh sorry, Pip. I think Marjorie got what she was looking for.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie13 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Is there anyone who has a copy of the book, and would be willing to check the quotation for me, tell me the page + give me the name of the publishing house, city of publishing and the year? Thank you very much for any help!
    I went and looked and I have three copies, none of which have a date on the title page. One of those gave two publisers, on in London and one in New York. I'm not sure how you would show that in a Harvard citation.

I've only heard of Harvard. What's Chicago?
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

I’ve been doing a bit of Googling as I understand the KJV (AV) was heavily dependent on earlier versions and may not deserve its high reputation for original literary excellence.

John 20.25 is an identical text in the Geneva Bible, (1560) and the translation Shakespeare would have known.

The much earlier (c 1530) William Tyndale version is almost the same – it doesn’t include “therefore” in the first sentence and has the more active “thrust my honed” for “put my hand”.

The other disciples sayd vnto him: we have sene ye lorde. And he sayde vnto the: except I se in his hondes the prent of the nayles and put my fynger in the holes of the nayles and thrust my honde into his syde I will not beleve.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/tyn/john/20.html

Incidentally, I wonder what the original spelling for the KJV was. Spelling changed noticeably in the C17.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Hello Jackson! Thank you for your research, it's impressive! I believe that in my case, it goes with the specifications of the academics in the particular institution. At least at my Uni, we've been told that KJV is the only version we are supposed to use for citing. This particular citation I've mentioned is used just for the illustration, as the opening statement, if you want, so my concern is rather formal, biblio-oriented. In my country, academics are sometimes obsessed with the rules of bibliographies and citations.
    Chicago is a style of citing, with footnotes rather than brackets.

Closed
    Bring the whole family ! And I am wishing your dad the best

Thank you. You are very sweet.

Closed
    JR: Chicago is the Chicago Manuel of Style, a fixture of American campuses. It was kosher at Harvard in my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    I’ve been doing a bit of Googling as I understand the KJV (AV) was heavily dependent on earlier versions and may not deserve its high reputation for original literary excellence.
    I'll forgive the KJV a little indebtedness because it is just so sumptuous. I grew up with the wooden RSV and walked away from the interpolations of the later NRSV. Whatever its limitations may be (and there are a few), I have no problem with taking the KJV as the Bible in English.

Incidentally, I have an old copy of the New Testament of Wycliffe and Purvey (put into English from the Vulgate). You would love the language:

But Y se in hise hondis the fitchinge of the nails, and putte myn fyngar in the places of the nails, and putte myn honde to hise side, Y schhal not bileue.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.

And best wishes for you looking after your father, Pompey.
    Previously JonathanB

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    And best wishes for you looking after your father, Pompey.
    Thank you, JR. New England winters are a little hard on him.

Hello everyone,

I am a student of English langage and literature (a non-native) and I have been writing a thesis on agnosticism. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of King James Bible (only a PDF version) and I would like to complete my bibliography with a proper citation.

I am supposed to cite: "Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:25). In my PDF version it is page 624.

Is there anyone who has a copy of the book, and would be willing to check the quotation for me, tell me the page + give me the name of the publishing house, city of publishing and the year? Thank you very much for any help!

I have an actual Cambridge Authorized Version 1611 "KJV" bible at my disposal. I can get the info for you when I get back to the house later today. Do you still need this?

Closed
    Cool. My other treasure is a Bible given to my great great grandfather by the Mashalltown (Iowa) Bible Society when he enlisted for the American Civil War in 1861. It is engraved to him (in pencil!) and signed by him, my great great grandmother, and my great grandfather (among others). It is fragile, and I treat it with great veneration.

P.S. Welcome to the site, Micanou.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-02-2016 at 02:28 PM.

I'm an English major as well, although I find it odd that the King James Bible wasn't a book that you had to buy for your classes. I had to buy one. Luckily, pretty much every bookstore in the world probably carries a copy of the KJB. Shouldn't be that expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12